協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

Is the phrase "Welcome to join us" Chinglish?

英文問題 (English Question)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

Is the phrase "Welcome to join us" Chinglish?

文章euphorian » 週四 10月 26, 2006 2:26 am

According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinglish

"Welcome to"
One of the more noticeable cases of Chinglish, especially on mainland China, is the phrase welcome to. This is used as a direct translation in Chinese, "歡迎". It actually means "we invite you to" or "you are welcome to", and is used more as an incentive to the activity introduced or as a form of "thank you". Its use is almost always cordial, inviting, or otherwise positive. A more confusing matter arises with the usage of the phrase welcome again. The phrase is typically displayed in such a manner that it is seen at the end of activities such as bus rides or visits to bookstores, and would be translated as a message of thanks, and that the visitor is welcome back at any time. An equivalent phrase in English-speaking countries might be "Please come again."

Examples:

Welcome to ride Line 52 Bus = Thank you for riding Bus Line 52.
Welcome to ride Line 13 again = Thank you for riding Line 13, and we would be pleased to welcome you back aboard at any time.
Welcome to take my taxi = Thank you for taking my taxi.
Welcome to listen to my news = Thanks for tuning in!
Welcome to use ATM service = found very often on ATMs, means thanks for using this ATM.
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章: 158
註冊時間: 週一 10月 31, 2005 11:51 am
來自: The Loneliest Planet

"Welcome to(prep.) +N (a place )" !!

文章jerry2508 » 週日 11月 12, 2006 3:58 am

Discussion over "Welcome to" from the Same Website.

Bazza 13:26, 16 October 2006 (UTC)

The article states that "Welcome to" causes confusion and should be taken as meaning "Thank you".
In UK English, "Welcome to" is commonly used: for example, some towns and cities have "Welcome to <city name>" at their boundaries; and some bus and train companies display "Welcome aboard <name>" signs at vehicle entrances. Is this usage confined to European English, or do other variants also understand "Welcome to" without confusion?

(59.121.188.158 10:45, 10 November 2006 (UTC)}

In English, in a phrase beginning with "Welcome to", the subsequent words must make up a noun phrase (often the name of a place or a business) . For example, "Welcome to Burger King". In the Chinglish phrases, they tend to be followed by verb phrases, which is an ungrammatical construction in English: ("Welcome to ride Bus No. 33.")

Other Chinglish exaples we might say:
Welcome to "go" with us. :(
Welcome to "join" Happy English Club.:?

welcome(int)
Let's try to keep in mind that the TO in "welcome to" is a prep. TO, meaning"到", and it should be followed by a noun( a place/a business), not a verb. Coincidentally, we wouldn't say " 歡迎 到 參加快樂英語俱樂部" in Chinese either. :lol:

welcome(adj)
But, when "welcome" is used as an adj, meaning "freely permitted to take/do sth., "welcome to" can be followed by either a noun or a verb. e.g.
You are welcome to stay(v) here whenever you like.
You are welcome to use(v) my car any time.
You are welcome to any books(n).
You are welcome to my car(n).

Geeze, Louiz! English is killing me! :shock:
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

回到 英文問題 (English Question)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 2 位訪客