協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20140524, Minutes, Taichung

聚會記錄 (Minutes)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

20140524, Minutes, Taichung

文章Jasmine0316 » 週四 5月 29, 2014 9:37 am

20140524, Minutes, by Jane Cheng

Minutes on 24/5 gathering: Cocooning: It’s back and thanks to tech, it’s bigger

It’s a high attendance the day. Thank you, guys, to let us know more about your childhood and your dream of a house!

Cocooning is an act of insulating or hiding oneself from the main environment as we know. Although we all agree it has become an unstoppable trend with more and more advanced technologies, none of us think it will make us stay home more or consider working at home in the future. We see these technologies as tools to help us be happier in life and efficient at work.

We like to feel what other people feel when watching a movie so we go to a movie theater even though we may have a well-equipped media room at home. We still feel safe in Taiwan although the tragedy of 5/21 Taipei MRT killing occurred. We see it as one occurrence which aroused us to pay more attention to those socializing less and unhappy cocooners. Generally speaking, we don’t think that super cocooning will become a trend in Taiwan for the coming future because of our small dwelling space, convenient transportation and 7-11 busy urban lifestyle.

Most of us grew up in a country and had a happy childhood, which I believe, is very important for one to develop a healthy personality. Thanks to our parents, who encouraged us to study harder to achieve in our professional job. I’m also sorry for John to hear of his father’s way of discipline: beating his children almost every day. No wonder John has been very against physical punishment on talking about education!

Everybody has a dream home or house. Some dream to live in a house where they can watch sunrise and sunset; some see living together with their loved ones can make a simple house as a dream home. As for me, I’m going to build a dream house in Australia and make it our home with my husband, my kids and even my grandchildren of the future. However, no matter what it will be, Taiwan will be my eternal home in my heart!

Jane Cheng
Jasmine0316

文章: 1008
註冊時間: 週一 6月 07, 2010 1:56 pm

Re: 20140524, Minutes, Taichung

文章Jasmine0316 » 週四 5月 29, 2014 11:31 pm

Dear Taichung Happiers,

Please join us in saying thanks to everyone in this Happy Family.

Jane, you have our thanks for your dedication of hosting (Meanwhile, you have to conduct the dream mission for your husband). It is mind-blowing that Jane drew this conclusion: “no matter what it will be, Taiwan will be my eternal home in my heart”. She is reminding us of something bigger; that is why we love Jane so much. And, what will you say? How do you define your homeland? Now, with respect, please allow me to have the following quote in Chinese. 齊邦媛教授曾說:“那裡是你的故鄉?那些曾經愛過你的,對你有所期許的人就是你的故鄉。什麼是衣錦還鄉?回去看看那些曾經愛你,對你有所期許的人,就是衣錦還鄉。不管你是做什麼行業在那個職位。”Also, acquiring better understanding of our homeland is equally important. Master Chiang Hsun has been patient and passionate enough to share his mixed feelings about this land and encourage our “crazy dream” to relearn to be ourselves.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-tP6iPs2mA

John, you have our thanks for being brave enough to share the darkest moments in your childhood. I was so touched when John said he still thanks his father. Award-winning African-American poet Maya Angelou (April 4, 1928 – May 28, 2014) had told the truth: “One can never leave home. One carries the shadows and fears, the hopes and dreams of home eternally just under the skin.” Every family has stories to tell. Let me associate the story The Mixtapes with what the poet had taught people. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn4Ep89htU4

Cleo and Jiew, you have our thanks for fitting in perfectly with our group—which makes it hard to tell that both of you were first-comers. It vividly illustrated why American storyteller Tad Williams required a shift of mindset to adapt ourselves to a wide range of contexts. “Never make your home in a place. Make a home for yourself inside your own head. You'll find what you need to furnish it- memory, friends you can trust, love of learning, and other such things. That way it will go with you wherever you journey.”

Thanks for all participants’ passion. Thanks for valuing this small community for learning and connection—further improvement can start from that. Having receiving numerous awards, Sim Van der Ryn, a leader in "sustainable architecture", is asking the meaning of empathy. This green-building pioneer introduced his book “Design for an Empathic World: Reconnecting People, Nature, and Self” and demanded both a deep sense of gratitude and a culture of empathy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lxNv_XuQWU This kind of reconnection is the first step of relearning to be ourselves, isn’t it?

Thank you all for coming. We love you when you join this big family. We will love you more when you join us more often. Sincerely, I would like to repeat my words again: Wherever we can happily grow together, we call it home. With love, we always welcome you home to Taichung Happy English Club.

You keep us going. Thank you all.

圖檔

Best Wishes,
Jasmine
Jasmine0316

文章: 1008
註冊時間: 週一 6月 07, 2010 1:56 pm

回到 聚會記錄 (Minutes)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 2 位訪客