協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

iBT TOEFL exam

英文考試 (English Exam)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

iBT TOEFL exam

文章CarmenTao » 週六 12月 27, 2008 5:49 pm

I’m wondering if there is any member who is preparing for a TOEFL exam as me. It’s been about 5 years since last time I took the CBT (Computer-Based TOEFL exam). Two years ago, the exam was transformed into the current iBT (Internet-Based TOEFL exam). They took out the grammar section, which Taiwanese students are known to be good at, while replaced it with the speaking part that most of us suck at. I bought a textbook last month but did not take a look at it until today. It is not only a speaking test but also an organization ability test. For example, in one question of them, you will read a passage and then listen to a lecture of the related topic, and then you will be asked to summarize the points verbally within 45 seconds. The topic I was asked to summarize today was regarding immunization and its pros and cons. Well, after the self-assessment, I did think I gotta study harder for this exam that comes in two months.
頭像
CarmenTao

文章: 423
註冊時間: 週六 4月 07, 2007 10:50 am
來自: 內湖

Re: iBT TOEFL exam

文章dustin12345 » 週六 12月 27, 2008 10:25 pm

i took the TOEIC speaking and writing recently and it was challenging in that you had to think on your feet! i think the new TOEFL is even tougher though.

i think a good way to practice is to listen to speeches, lectures, or news clips on youtube and then summarize the main points.

http://tw.youtube.com/user/AssociatedPress <--- news clips

also u should try practicing in a noisy environment (internet cafe, nightmarket, shopping mall etc.) because when you're taking the test there will be people around you speaking quite loudly...so you have to practice not getting distracted.
頭像
dustin12345

文章: 304
註冊時間: 週六 8月 02, 2008 9:07 pm

文章CarmenTao » 週日 12月 28, 2008 10:19 am

Thank you so much, Dustin.
This is very useful information.
I bought two packages of simulation exams with 美加.
Hopefully it helps too.
Good day.
頭像
CarmenTao

文章rock » 週四 1月 01, 2009 6:16 pm

Dear Carmen,
Hey, I am going to take ibt, too. The date is Feb. 14, the Valentine's Day. Guess that would be a romantic day for a big test. However, I don't know how to prepare for the exam at all. Just wish it is a reliable test which can really evaluate a person's English ability. In that case, we don't have to prepare it at all, right? Besides, English cannot be improved in a short time, like, two months or so. If my theory is right, then maybe you can throw your exam books away. :lol:
By the way, why do you want to take a TOFEL test? You are planning to study abroad for a Ph.D?
I will try my best.
rock

文章: 172
註冊時間: 週二 8月 22, 2006 4:41 pm
來自: Keelung

文章CarmenTao » 週四 1月 01, 2009 10:30 pm

rock 寫:Dear Carmen,
Hey, I am going to take ibt, too. The date is Feb. 14, the Valentine's Day. Guess that would be a romantic day for a big test. However, I don't know how to prepare for the exam at all. Just wish it is a reliable test which can really evaluate a person's English ability. In that case, we don't have to prepare it at all, right? Besides, English cannot be improved in a short time, like, two months or so. If my theory is right, then maybe you can throw your exam books away. :lol:
By the way, why do you want to take a TOFEL test? You are planning to study abroad for a Ph.D?

Romantic for the test? Pathetic for the test on Valentine's Day rather! :lol:
Actually I don't know how to prepare for it either. I just bought two simulation exams with 美加 and do what I usually do.
Your theory is definitely correct. You are smart. You don't need a TOEFL reference book to tell you how many words there should be in the writing part or how much time you will have in the speaking test of course! Your English is very good even without the aforementioned information. Don't even bother to ask people nor check it out in the exam book at a bookstore. I have faith in you. You'll do a good job certainly. I'm not as smart as you and therefore in need of the related information in the book I bought. :mrgreen:
Besides, somehow I don't think it's reliable enough to test a person's English proficiency. I think it's just good enough to test whether a student can survive when studying abroad. Just a personal opinion and an excuse if I don't do it well. Ha. :mrgreen:

Study abroad for a Ph.D. - only half correct! Maybe I will tell you at the end of this year....364 days to go.....
頭像
CarmenTao

文章rock » 週五 1月 02, 2009 4:33 pm

Hey, you are scaring me! It seems that you're seriously preparing for the exam, and I'm totally naive about all the details. Of course I'm not half as good as you in English (maybe I'm better than you in basketball?), so if you do care so much about the exam, then I shouldn't take it lightly at all. I just WISH I can do it and have some fun in the same time. That would be a double benefit. Besides, I didn't prepare too much last time, but I still got a satisfatctory score for myself (CBT 260). You know, I don't have a very high standard, so that's good enough for me. :lol:
So our good Carmen is really going to study abroad or pursuit a PhD degree? That's a good news. And I truly believe you will certainly make it. You are one of the most gifted and dilligent learners I've ever met, and it's always so exciting talking to you. I will try my best to make fun of you whenever possible, though. :wink:
I will try my best.
rock

文章CarmenTao » 週五 1月 02, 2009 9:46 pm

No No! Take a chill pill. You know I always have problems remembering all the foreign words..... (It's been bothering me a lot! You know that.....)
I suck!!!
Besides, you did a great job at CBT.
I dare not tell you how many points I got in 2003..... :oops: TOP SECRET !!!
I hope I'm gonna earn some more since they've added the speaking test.
Rock, you are swell!
By the way..... as I said:
studying abroad or pursuing a PhD degree - I'm not gonna tell you until the end of this year - 363 days to go!
頭像
CarmenTao

文章rock » 週六 1月 03, 2009 12:48 am

CarmenTao 寫:
Rock, you are swell!

I don't get it. What do you mean I am swell? Do you mean I'm getting fat or something?
I will try my best.
rock

文章CarmenTao » 週六 1月 03, 2009 7:00 am

rock 寫:
CarmenTao 寫:
Rock, you are swell!

I don't get it. What do you mean I am swell? Do you mean I'm getting fat or something?

Swell (slang) - adj. Fantastic, great, wonderful

Well, getting fat is not bad for you either. You'll still look as great as you are with 10 additional pounds. :mrgreen:
頭像
CarmenTao

回到 英文考試 (English Exam)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 3 位訪客