協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

Check it out

英文問題 (English Question)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

Check it out

文章Jung » 週三 2月 28, 2007 2:02 pm

hello~I am here again
please check out the following sentence.

He provided some entirely disparate evidences regarding whether Macro Polo had been Chinese.

Q: Is it correct?
Jung

文章: 11
註冊時間: 週六 2月 10, 2007 10:54 am
來自: Tainan

文章Luis Ko » 週三 2月 28, 2007 6:23 pm

incorrect!!
As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise / don't treat others the way you don't want to be treated!!
Luis Ko

文章: 18
註冊時間: 週六 1月 20, 2007 1:20 am

文章Jung » 週三 2月 28, 2007 9:17 pm

Luis Ko 寫:incorrect!!

orz....
Is the problem in the "...regarding whether..."
Jung

文章Luis Ko » 週四 3月 01, 2007 3:55 am

it's ok for that but "had been Chinese"
it sounds weird
As ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise / don't treat others the way you don't want to be treated!!
Luis Ko

文章Darren » 週四 3月 01, 2007 10:22 am

Regarding the end part of the sentence,

Did you mean:
Marco Polo is/was Chinese?
or Marco Polo had been in China?
The LIGHT!!!! It BURNS!!!!! It BURNS!!!!!
頭像
Darren

文章: 66
註冊時間: 週日 12月 17, 2006 10:45 pm
來自: exiled

文章Jung » 週四 3月 01, 2007 12:09 pm

YES!!
I lost a prep. :oops:
Jung

文章Glotynn » 週六 3月 03, 2007 9:14 pm

Luis Ko 寫:it's ok for that but "had been Chinese"
it sounds weird

I don't see anything wrong with "had been Chinese" here. It's a pattern of simple past tense vs. past perfect tense. Marco Polo lived in much earlier times than the author.

However, replacing it by "was" is equally right, just like the following sentences being correct:
I am Chinese.
I have been Chinese since I was born.
Glotynn

文章: 57
註冊時間: 週五 3月 31, 2006 11:12 am

Re: Check it out

文章euphorian » 週日 3月 04, 2007 2:32 am

Jung 寫:hello~I am here again
please check out the following sentence.

He provided some entirely disparate evidences regarding whether Macro Polo had been Chinese.

Q: Is it correct?

Not correct enough.

He provided some entirely disparate evidences regarding whether Macro Polo had been a "Han" Chinese.

You know... The concept of "Chinese" does come in so many different shades and varieties, as far as race, ethnicity and nationality is concern.
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章: 158
註冊時間: 週一 10月 31, 2005 11:51 am
來自: The Loneliest Planet

文章Luis Ko » 週日 3月 04, 2007 4:59 am

Glotynn 寫:
it sounds weird

I don't see anything wrong with "had been Chinese" here. It's a pattern of simple past tense vs. past perfect tense. Marco Polo lived in much earlier times than the author.

However, replacing it by "was" is equally right, just like the following sentences being correct:
I am Chinese.

do we use "had been a Chinese"? even "have been a Chinese"?
Luis Ko

文章Glotynn » 週日 3月 04, 2007 12:43 pm

Luis Ko 寫:

Yes, we do.
In "a Chinese", Chinese is a noun.
In "I am Chinese", Chinese is an adjective.

I am a Chinese. (O)
I am Chinese. (O)
He is English. (O)
He is an English. (X)
He is an Englishman. (O)
Glotynn

文章Darren » 週日 3月 04, 2007 4:28 pm

I don't think it's quite logical using "had been" or "have been" when it comes to ethnicity.
"Had been" gives the impression of "once, was"
for example: I have been to Singapore. i.e. I was once in Singapore

So, when it comes to ethnicity, one cannot be once a Chinese and not anymore after that (physically that is).

Point is, finite verbs are more suitable in this case.
頭像
Darren

文章Glotynn » 週日 3月 04, 2007 11:47 pm

Darren 寫:I don't think it's quite logical using "had been" or "have been" when it comes to ethnicity.

So, when it comes to ethnicity, one cannot be once a Chinese and not anymore after that (physically that is).

He provided some entirely disparate evidences regarding whether Marco Polo had been Chinese.

I can agree with you that using "was" sounds better than "had been", but it is possible for somebody to "have once been" Chinese. There have been some assumptions with some people that Marco Polo was once a Chinese, and he ended up becoming an Italian after he returned/went to Italy. Based on this assumption, using "had been" in this sentence makes sense.

Besides, is it possible that the titled sentence involves the contrary past subjunctive?
Glotynn

文章euphorian » 週一 3月 05, 2007 11:57 am

Luis Ko 寫:
Glotynn 寫:
it sounds weird

I am Chinese.

had been = 曾經是,現在不是(死)

have been = 曾經是,現在還是(活)
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章: 158
註冊時間: 週一 10月 31, 2005 11:51 am
來自: The Loneliest Planet

文章Glotynn » 週二 3月 06, 2007 3:09 pm

euphorian 寫:

had been = 曾經是,現在不是(死)

have been = 曾經是,現在還是(活)

"had been" does not necessarily imply death.
One could once be a Chinese before a specific time in the past, as in:

He had been a Chinese before he migrated to Canada in 1990.
Glotynn

文章Darren » 週二 3月 06, 2007 9:31 pm

Glotynn 寫:
Darren 寫:I don't think it's quite logical using "had been" or "have been" when it comes to ethnicity.

He provided some entirely disparate evidences regarding whether Marco Polo had been Chinese.

I can agree with you that using "was" sounds better than "had been", but it is possible for somebody to "have once been" Chinese. There have been some assumptions with some people that Marco Polo was once a Chinese, and he ended up becoming an Italian after he returned/went to Italy. Based on this assumption, using "had been" in this sentence makes sense.

Besides, is it possible that the titled sentence involves the contrary past subjunctive?

Hi glotynn,

Thankyou for the vote of confidence by agreeing with "was" "had" matter.
Just want to clarify on the last reply I posted.

The reply was posted under the assumption that the topic sentence was arguing about the ethnicity of Marco Polo. In other words, what blood or gene descendent was Marco Polo. Did Marco Polo have Chinese or European physical properties(looked like Chinese or European)? Or, is the majority of his blood Chinese or European (if he is indeed half Asian) . With this assumption, "was" would be a more appropriate verb in that sentence.

However, if the sentence was stating Marco Polo's nationality, then, definately agreeing with you here, "had been" would definately be suitable.
頭像
Darren

下一頁

回到 英文問題 (English Question)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 5 位訪客