協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

how to say " 搏感情 "

英文問題 (English Question)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

how to say " 搏感情 "

文章Happy Jan » 週六 5月 27, 2006 9:58 am

how to say "搏感情"
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

文章euphorian » 週六 5月 27, 2006 12:16 pm

"bonding"
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章: 158
註冊時間: 週一 10月 31, 2005 11:51 am
來自: The Loneliest Planet

文章Wayne » 週六 5月 27, 2006 10:28 pm

make oneself close to another person?
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Wayne

文章: 86
註冊時間: 週二 11月 01, 2005 7:26 pm
來自: YOYO, Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章Happy Jan » 週日 5月 28, 2006 2:11 am

euphorian 寫:"bonding"

Thanks a lot, this is what the word I want. :lol:
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

文章euphorian » 週日 5月 28, 2006 4:27 pm

Speaking of Bonding,
"Nothing knits man to man like the frequent passage from hand to hand of cash."
By Walter Richard Sickert, 1860-1942
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章Glotynn » 週四 6月 08, 2006 9:25 am

I think 搏感情 should be a verb in Chinese.

From Merriam-Webster
bond (vi)
3 a : to cause to adhere firmly
b : to embed in a matrix
c : to hold together in a molecule or crystal by chemical bonds
intransitive senses: to hold together or solidify by or as if by means of a bond or binder
Glotynn

文章: 57
註冊時間: 週五 3月 31, 2006 11:12 am

文章Wayne » 週一 1月 22, 2007 11:57 am

I'd translate 搏感情 into "win someone's love", "get familiar with someone", or "improve the relationship with someone" (in order to gain some advantage, a good impression or a favor).
Knowledge is power -- when shared.
Wayne

文章: 86
註冊時間: 週二 11月 01, 2005 7:26 pm
來自: YOYO, Taipei, Taiwan, Pandemonium

文章Darren » 週一 1月 22, 2007 2:38 pm

In formal occasions, the phrase:

"to [be / get] more acquainted with"

is sometimes used.

Though the phrase doesn't exactly fit the definition of "搏感情".
The LIGHT!!!! It BURNS!!!!! It BURNS!!!!!
頭像
Darren

文章: 66
註冊時間: 週日 12月 17, 2006 10:45 pm
來自: exiled

About Bonding

文章Nathan » 週二 1月 23, 2007 10:14 pm

First thing I would like to say that "bonding" is good.
And I saw it a lot on articles. Also, I heard "connection" more coming out of Americans' mouth.
I think either one will work, because Americans don't really have exact word of "搏感情" in their language.
When I was a student, I brought 2 apples from mess hall to classroom. Before the lecture started, i was eating one of them, and my research professor came in. She said that she would like an apple and i gave it to her. One of my classmate on my research team said: "Jeang, are you trying to get some connection with professor?" The reason why he said that is because we were having a test at that time.
Hello, everyone! This is Nathan.
Happily Ever After!
Nathan

文章: 12
註冊時間: 週一 1月 08, 2007 11:20 pm
來自: 板橋市

文章euphorian » 週三 1月 24, 2007 4:24 am

Copied and paste directly from Wikipedia

Male bonding is a term that is used in ethology, social science, and in general usage to describe patterns of friendship and/or cooperation in men (or in the case of ethology: males of various species). The exact meaning of the term differs across contexts.

In ethology, a species is said to have male bonding if the males regularly form coalitions in which they mutually support each other, especially if such coalitions are used to attack other groups or individuals. Male bonding is not very common in animals, but it is found in both chimpanzees (e.g. raiding behaviour) and humans (e.g. war). Although females occasionally participate in such groups that kill others, they are normally a minority in a coalition that is composed mostly of males.

In the context of human relationships, male bonding is used to (sometimes jokingly or informally) describe friendship between men, or the way in which men befriend each other. The expression is sometimes used synonymously with the word camaraderie. Friendships among men are often based on shared activities, instead of emotional sharing, which is more typical of women's friendships. The first widely-noticed use of the term was in Men in Groups (1969;2004) by anthropologist Lionel Tiger.
頭像
euphorian

文章Tom Wang » 週五 1月 26, 2007 8:42 am

What exactly do you mean by 搏感情? Could you make a clear discription on this term (in English)? cos all that terms been provided above sound a bit odd in Engish actually. I mean it is hightly likely that in any case you speak such a particular term to an English man, you will end up explanning more about the original feeling you're trying to speak.
頭像
Tom Wang

文章: 37
註冊時間: 週日 4月 02, 2006 10:27 pm
來自: University College London

文章euphorian » 週五 1月 26, 2007 2:07 pm

搏感情= any sort of activity where the participants will feel emotionally cloase to each other, during and after the event. Clinically, it can also be defined as "Emotional Appeal"
頭像
euphorian

文章Tom Wang » 週五 1月 26, 2007 5:23 pm

euphorian 寫:搏感情= any sort of activity where the participants will feel emotionally cloase to each other, during and after the event. Clinically, it can also be defined as "Emotional Appeal"

no no, it's pretty like having a definition of this word. I just think it's more important to see how people express it in natural, daily context.

BTW this def is a bit different from what i know about 搏感情, hahaah
頭像
Tom Wang

文章: 37
註冊時間: 週日 4月 02, 2006 10:27 pm
來自: University College London

A tiny little game

文章jerry2508 » 週五 1月 26, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi, Tom wang. Way to go!!
it's pretty like having a definition of this word. I just think it's more important to see how people express it in natural, daily context.

What about a tiny little game all the English know-it-all would love to do---Sentence Translation!! 8)

Your translation of 搏感情 only makes sense when in a context, isn't it?? :)

(1)Here's the caption from TVBS NEWS 01/24:布希稱盛讚女議長 與民主黨員"搏感情"

(2)Or if that's way over your head, what about the sentence we hear a lot, and a bit mushy:今天我來到高雄 不是別的 是要跟各位相親"搏感情"

Obviously, it's usually used as a Chinese "verbal phrase", ^^instead of a noun. :wink: , unless you say, "搏感情"是一種很草根的政治語言.

Please give a decent sentence translation of either one above, using your own CREATIVE translation(s) of "搏感情"

Convince us and we'll decide who to vote.

Isn't it fair?? :wink:

"Preview": none of the SMART transations of "搏感情" above fits into the everyday context.

<<<有時英文有誤解,是因為台語不夠好 :lol: >>>
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

搏感情四人組

文章jerry2508 » 週日 1月 28, 2007 6:43 pm

There's a brilliant and popular girl's group called "BOND", playing the viola, cello and violin.

The local record company should've named them 搏感情查某狼四重奏, instead of 棒辣妹四重奏. How's that?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
最後由 jerry2508 於 週一 1月 29, 2007 1:05 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

下一頁

回到 英文問題 (English Question)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 5 位訪客