協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

cover to cover 是什麼意思?

英文問題 (English Question)

版主: GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, kevinliu, Happy Jan

cover to cover 是什麼意思?

文章bowei » 週三 11月 28, 2007 9:09 pm

請教各位一個問題,我在Live ABC中看到一句話,
英文:I read it cover to cover, and thought it was boring.
中文:我從頭讀到尾,覺得無聊極了。
其中 cover to cover 可以翻成從頭到尾嗎?
我在 yahoo 字典找不到這句的片語,
還有 thought 是 think 的過去式(分詞),且 was 也是動詞,
兩個動詞在一起卻沒有連接詞,這樣文法對嗎?
謝謝大家的指教!
感恩!
bowei

文章: 2
註冊時間: 週一 11月 26, 2007 12:14 am

文章Dimitri » 週三 11月 28, 2007 11:41 pm

Read a book "cover to cover" means, literally, read a book from the front cover to the back cover, that is, read it through.

"Thought it was boring" sounds perfectly okay to me. I don't really know how to explain it but still I'll try. I'm not good at those grammar stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the sentence "I think it was boring", "that" is omitted. The original sentence should be "I think that it was boring"
ex linguis vis
в языках сила
言語から力が出る
from languages comes strength
des langues vient la puissance
desde los idiomas, el poder
頭像
Dimitri

文章: 152
註冊時間: 週六 7月 21, 2007 11:30 pm
來自: ペコポン星

文章bowei » 週六 12月 01, 2007 9:39 pm

恩...我大概了解您的意思了...
感謝您...
bowei

文章: 2
註冊時間: 週一 11月 26, 2007 12:14 am

文章jerry2508 » 週六 12月 01, 2007 11:34 pm

Dimitri 寫:Read a book "cover to cover" means, literally, read a book from the front cover to the back cover, that is, read it through.

"Thought it was boring" sounds perfectly okay to me. I don't really know how to explain it but still I'll try. I'm not good at those grammar stuff. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

In the sentence "I think it was boring", "that" is omitted. The original sentence should be "I think that it was boring"

Hey, Dimitri.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I totally agree with you.

Hey, Bowei.

To put it another way, (I really hate to explain it in a traditional way><)

"I read it cover to cover, and thought it was boring." is short for the sentence, "I read it cover to cover, and ( I) thought it was boring." You don't have to say "I~I~ " twice. That's why you don't see the second I :lol:

In clause子句 A, "it" is the object受詞 of "read". The object of a sentence is usually a noun名詞. While in clause B, the object受詞 of "thought" is not a word, but a sentense,"it was boring." So we call the sentence a" noun-clause名詞子句". And you can say it with "that" or without "that" between " thought" and "it was boring"

For a clearer picture>
把它還原成原來的句子:
"I read it cover to cover, and ( I ) thought ( that ) it was boring."
它的結構就是:(and相當於 +號)
A子句 + B子句 (B子句中又含有名詞子句當thought的受詞)

Gee~Some grammar!
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

回到 英文問題 (English Question)

誰在線上