協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20061014, Article, Picture, Feedback

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20061014, Article, Picture, Feedback

文章James Shi » 週一 10月 02, 2006 7:29 am

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第77次例會,2006年10月14日(週六)下午2:30~5:00
Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

14:30~15:30 gossiping and chatting
15:30~15:45 Ice Breaker session
15:45~15:55 intermission
15:55~17:00 topic discussion

Host: Dirk Bremann
Assistant Host:

Topic: MISTREATMENT

The Hosts Comment: Mistreatment is a wide-spread and difficult topic to discuss. It’s easy to discuss friendship, entertainment, food and whatever makes us happy. Talking about the daily things of life, such as work and eating, is way too boring for me. I picked this topic because one of my neighbors, an old guy, mistreats his dog, one of my friends in Germany was beaten by her husband and one of my friends in Taiwan was raped by uncle and his military school classmates. These 3 cases are just some – I know more – of those which happen every day, everywhere. I am sure that every single one of you has experienced similar things … Anyway, among uncountable online articles I just picked some by chance.

If you want more information just goooogle for:
abuse cruelty maltreatment mistreatment misusage
contumeliousness dispraise obloquy revilement vilification vituperation taunt brickbat contumeliousness invectiveness obloquy revilement scolding slander vituperation name-calling etc.

1 Child Mistreatment, Child Abuse - What is it?
http://www.alice-miller.com/index_en.php

Humiliations, spankings and beatings, slaps in the face, betrayal, sexual exploitation, derision, neglect, etc. are all forms of mistreatment, because they injure the integrity and dignity of a child, even if their consequences are not visible right away. However, as adults, most abused children will suffer (and let others suffer) from these injuries. Some victims of this dynamic of violence can - deformed into hangmen - take revenge even on whole nations and become willing executors to horrible dictators like Hitler and other cruel leaders. Beaten children learn very early the violence they endured, which they may glorify and apply later as parents by believing that they deserved the punishment and were beaten out of love. They don't know that the only reason for the punishments, which they have to endure, is the fact that their parents themselves endured and learned violence without being able to question it. Later, the adults, once abused children, beat - without intending it - their own children and often feel grateful to their parents who mistreated them when they were small and defenseless.

For that reason, society's ignorance remains so solid and parents continue to produce, in all "good will", in every generation severe pain and destructivity. Most people tolerate this blindly because the origins of human violence in childhood have been and are still being ignored worldwide. Almost all small children are smacked during the first three years of life when they begin to walk and to touch objects, which may not be touched. This happens exactly during a time when the human brain builds up its structure and should thus learn kindness, truthfulness, and love but never, never cruelty and lies. Fortunately, there are many mistreated children who find "helping witnesses" and can feel being loved by them.

2 Animal Mistreatment Is Unethical

http://academic.scranton.edu/student/HA ... hical.html

The main reason why this kind of testing should not be done is because it is unethical and immoral to mistreat animals for human medicinal and cosmetic purposes. Scientists mistreat animals by causing unnatural pain and suffering. Over the past few centuries, there has been plenty of scientific research that closely relates the makeup of a human body with that of an animal’s.

“There is good evidence that pain is a function of the nervous system and that many animals have nervous systems very much like our own – so, is it not reasonable to assume that when a wounded animal screams and struggles it is suffering in a way similar to that in which a wounded man can suffer” (Ryder 15)?

If we mistreat these animals, are we not committing a crime that is similar to mistreating other human beings? Do we not punish people and put them in prison for the destruction of another living being? Why, then, is it okay to cause the unnecessary and painfully slow demise of an innocent creature just for the sake of human beauty or health? As the only species that can fully grasp the complex ideas of ethics and morals, we have a prerogative to care for and treat animals as best as possible (Simmonds 52).

3. Mistreatment of Women

http://vaw.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abst ... 20women%22

National University of Ireland

Evidence concerning the incidence and nature of abuse of the elderly comes mainly from North America. We explored the experiences of abuse of older women and caretakers in three European countries and investigated services available to abused older women. Just less than 20% of our sample of women older than the age of 59 had experienced some form of financial, psychological, or physical abuse. Of those mistreated, 24% reported abuse ongoing over years, and 39% reported distressing effects persisting for years. European support services are only beginning to focus on this problem, and further research is needed to define the best practices.

5 Ideas to discuss:

1. Everybody knows what mistreatment means, but where does it start? Give us your definition about what you call mistreatment.

2. Do you have any personal experience of being mistreated or do you know any cases you are related to?

3. Is there anything you do against mistreatment once you are aware of it?

4. Mistreatment happens in families, neighborhoods, schools etc. Why do you think most people ignore it instead of taking action?

5. If someone mistreated you, what would you do?

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔
歡迎對本社團有興趣的人把我加入您的好友名單
教學相長~~~
(\~~/) (\~~/) (\~~/)
(~'.'~) (^.^~) (='.'=)
(_(___ (_(__)~ (") (")
MSN: nsr787878@hotmail.com
頭像
James Shi

文章: 129
註冊時間: 週日 10月 30, 2005 9:04 am
來自: 台北縣新莊市

文章Happy Jan » 週日 10月 15, 2006 10:00 pm

圖檔

圖檔

圖檔
最後由 Happy Jan 於 週三 1月 03, 2007 11:28 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

KUSO!! KUSO!! KUSO!!

文章jerry2508 » 週二 10月 17, 2006 1:06 am

KUSO!! KUSO!! KUSO!!

Pic(1)
I'm looking at you and you're looking at him and he's looking at her and she's looking at ...the table...everybody's looking at something else instead of the one who's looking at you...He-he...
:)

Pic(2) The guy standing:
" Why No one even bothers to have their chin up and have a look at me. :? You know... how much time it took me and how hard I tried to imatate JOLIN's 舞孃 before I came here...Hey, how's my dancing body language, people?"

Pic(3) The guy standing:
"Sorry!! I've been having some digestion problem recently. if you hear something or smell somrthing when I talk seriously, please be understanding and DON'T PANIC....well...I mean...burp...not fart... and I'll assure you they don't go hand in hand, usually...
:lol:

"Oh, I really like the new rendezvous(hangout) with a big, big window overlooking a big, big park, with big, big trees, where we can play hide-and-seek when the night falls...mm...I love it..
:P
最後由 jerry2508 於 週三 10月 18, 2006 9:35 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

明年起全國多項英文考試加考KUSO WRITING!!

文章jerry2508 » 週二 10月 17, 2006 11:31 pm

KUSO~ KUSO~ KUSO~

IMPORTANT NOTICE!!

KUSO WRITING is going to appear on the test sheet for TOFL, GEPT, TOIC...starting next spring across the nation. :twisted:

Put your imagination to work and Let's practice KUSOing pictures wherever they appear on the forum.(We don't usually see any caption along with a picture. Bummer! :? )

Remember what we did in elemetary school-看圖說話 That's right! That's the idea! Great way to better your English. :D

Eventhough a picture tells a thousand words, with your KUSO captions, it's gonna tell "a million words". 8)

Come on! Let's have fun KUSOing~~ :lol: :twisted: :twisted:
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 11 位訪客