協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20060715, Article, Picture

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20060715, Article, Picture

文章James Shi » 週一 7月 10, 2006 11:59 pm

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第 64 次例會,2006年7月15日(週六)下午2:30~5:00
Place: viewtopic.php?t=15
14:30~15:30 gossiping and chatting
15:30~15:45 Ice Breaker session
15:45~15:55 intermission
15:55~17:00 topic discussion

Host: James Shi
Assistant Host:

Topic:The Tortoise and the Hare
(Source: Joseph Jacobs, The Fables of Aesop (London, 1894), no. 68.)
Aesop

Part Ⅰ:
The hare was once boasting of his speed before the other animals. "I have never yet been beaten," said he, "when I put forth my full speed. I challenge anyone here to race with me."

The tortoise said quietly, "I accept your challenge."

"That is a good joke," said the hare. "I could dance around you all the way."

"Keep your boasting until you've beaten," answered the tortoise. "Shall we race?"

So a course was fixed and a start was made. The hare darted almost out of sight at once, but soon stopped and, to show his contempt for the tortoise, lay down to have a nap. The tortoise plodded on and plodded on, and when the hare awoke from his nap, he saw the tortoise nearing the finish line, and he could not catch up in time to save the race.

Vocabulary:
1. tortoise N.【動】陸龜;龜,烏龜 (a turtle, esp. one that lives on land or in bodies of fresh water)
2. hare N. 野兔 (larger than a rabbit, with a divided upper lip, long ears, and short, fluffy tail)
3. boast v.t 吹噓; 自誇 (speak of oneself or one's belongings in loud and vain terms)
4. dart v.t 狂奔 (start suddenly and go quickly)
5. contempt N. 鄙視;輕蔑 (disdain; scorn)
6. plod v.t 沈重緩慢地走 (to walk slowly and heavily)

Questions:
1.This story is pretty familiar that we've all grown up with. What’s moral you think in this story? What do you learn from this fable? Share with us!!

Part Ⅱ:
Recently, someone told me a more interesting version of this story. It continues.

The hare was disappointed at losing the race and he did some Defect Prevention (Root Cause Analysis). He realized that he'd lost the race only because he had been overconfident, careless and lax.

If he had not taken things for granted, there's no way the tortoise could have beaten him. So he challenged the tortoise to another race. The tortoise agreed.

This time, the hare went all out and ran without stopping from start to finish. He won by several miles.

Vocabulary:
1. lax adj. 散漫的;放縱的 (careless)

Questions:
2.What do you learn from this story? Share with us!!

Part Ⅲ:
But the story doesn't end here. The tortoise did some thinking this time, and realized that there's no way he can beat the hare in a race the way it was currently formatted.

He thought for a while, and then challenged the hare to another race, but on a slightly different route. The hare agreed. They started off. In keeping with his self-made commitment to be consistently fast, the hare took off and ran at top speed until he came to a broad river.

The finishing line was a couple of kilometers on the other side of the river. The hare sat there wondering what to do. In the meantime the tortoise trundled along, got into the river, swam to the opposite bank, continued walking and finished the race.

Vocabulary:
1. trundle v.i慢步走 (to walk slowly)

Questions:
3. What do you learn from this story? Share with us!!

Part Ⅳ:
The story still hasn't ended.

The hare and the tortoise, by this time, had become pretty good friends and they did some thinking together. Both realized that the last race could have been run much better. So they decided to do the last race again, but to run as a team this time.

They started off, and this time the hare carried the tortoise till the riverbank. There, the tortoise took over and swam across with the hare on his back. On the opposite bank, the hare again carried the tortoise and they reached the finishing line together. They both felt a greater sense of satisfaction than they'd felt earlier.

Questions:
4.What do you learn from this story? Share with us!!

圖檔
圖檔

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔
最後由 James Shi 於 週一 7月 24, 2006 12:51 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
歡迎對本社團有興趣的人把我加入您的好友名單
教學相長~~~
(\~~/) (\~~/) (\~~/)
(~'.'~) (^.^~) (='.'=)
(_(___ (_(__)~ (") (")
MSN: nsr787878@hotmail.com
頭像
James Shi

文章: 129
註冊時間: 週日 10月 30, 2005 9:04 am
來自: 台北縣新莊市

Re: 20060715-Article

文章James Shi » 週四 7月 13, 2006 2:21 pm

Please kindly be ON TIME for our gathering, the gathering is from 2:30 PM to 5:00 PM.

Another thing, please print out this week’s article by yourself if you are not a new comer, thanks for your cooperation.

See you then!!
歡迎對本社團有興趣的人把我加入您的好友名單
教學相長~~~
(\~~/) (\~~/) (\~~/)
(~'.'~) (^.^~) (='.'=)
(_(___ (_(__)~ (") (")
MSN: nsr787878@hotmail.com
頭像
James Shi

文章: 129
註冊時間: 週日 10月 30, 2005 9:04 am
來自: 台北縣新莊市