協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20060701, Article, Picture

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20060701, Article, Picture

文章James Shi » 週四 6月 29, 2006 11:59 pm

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第 62 次例會,2006年7月1日(週六)下午2:30~5:00
Place: viewtopic.php?t=15
14:30~15:30 gossiping and chatting
15:30~15:45 Ice Breaker session
15:45~16:00 intermission
16:00~17:00 topic discussion

Host: James Shi
Assistant Host: Sandra Huang

Topic:It is more blessed to give than receive.
( Source: http://www.rctimes.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 0/MTCN0305 )
By Lillian Mills
Special to The Star News

"There is more happiness in giving than in receiving."
Jesus Christ knew what he was talking about when he spoke those words. They are words that hit home for me a couple of weekends ago as I traveled to Alabama and Mississippi to help repair houses damaged by Hurricane Katrina.
I joined 24 other volunteers, from congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses in the Nashville area, on the four-day trip. After witnessing the devastation in Biloxi, Mississippi, I came to appreciate so much more my blessings in life. Although we spent two full days repairing roofs, the human interaction is what made this weekend memorable.

It was in Mobile, Alabama that I met a five-year-old girl named Chloe. Her grandparent's house was damaged during the hurricane and badly needed a new roof. Although their names were included on a list of individuals whose homes were in need of repairs, they did not know we were coming until they pulled up in the driveway late Friday morning. By then, we had managed to tear off all of the old shingles and were getting ready to start laying down the new roof. I will always remember the grateful look on her grandmother's face as she got out of the car, then hugged us and thanked us for being there.

It was her precious granddaughter, however, who stole my heart.

I knew I had made a new friend when Chloe proceeded to pick flowers from the yard and bring them to me, one by one. Her grandmother said she did that for people she really liked.

She walked me around her yard, showing me all of her favorite spots, and introduced me to her two dogs and cat. She also sat next to me in the group photo that was taken at the end of the day.

Once she realized we were getting ready to leave, however, tears filled her eyes and my heart simply melted. I gave her a hug, took down her name and number and promised to write when I got back to Tennessee.

With that, she dried her eyes and gave me a smile I will never forget.

Later, I found out that Chloe had lost quite a few people close to her, which perhaps explained her sadness at seeing us go. I am so glad to have played a small part of what will hopefully be a fonder memory for her year from now.

You never know how your actions can brighten someone's day just by showing genuine interest. This is so true when it comes to our children, especially those affected by adversity.

Many of the volunteers, including myself, are making plans to return to the Gulf Coast in the months ahead to support the relief effort.

Perhaps, then I can visit Chloe and let her know that someone is thinking of her. After all, this little girl taught me a valuable lesson in giving. What I learned is that there is more happiness in giving than there is in receiving.

Lillian Mills is a resident of Hendersonville and submitted this account of her experiences helping hurricane victims.

Questions:
1. Why is it more blessed to give than to receive?
2. What is the most valuable thing you want to give to your family, friends, or this society?
3. How do you know what you want to give to others is really good for them?
4. What will you do if others do not accept what you want to give?
5. What is the thing that you do not want others give it to you?
6. What will you do if you can not receive what you want to receive?

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔
最後由 James Shi 於 週一 7月 10, 2006 11:44 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
歡迎對本社團有興趣的人把我加入您的好友名單
教學相長~~~
(\~~/) (\~~/) (\~~/)
(~'.'~) (^.^~) (='.'=)
(_(___ (_(__)~ (") (")
MSN: nsr787878@hotmail.com
頭像
James Shi

文章: 129
註冊時間: 週日 10月 30, 2005 9:04 am
來自: 台北縣新莊市

20060701 Picture

文章megan » 週四 7月 06, 2006 12:50 pm

圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
頭像
megan

文章: 38
註冊時間: 週六 3月 25, 2006 8:33 pm
來自: Taipei

文章Happy Jan » 週日 7月 09, 2006 11:33 pm

Dear Megan,

Thanks for posting the photos for our family.
The prosperity of our family is due to the dedicated member like you.

Thanks anyway.

Happy
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

文章Glotynn » 週一 7月 10, 2006 9:51 am

The prosperity of our family is due to the dedicated member like you.

"dedicated" should be corrected to "dedicating".
"member" should be in plural form "members" to make sense.

Merely for English learning purpose and no offense. :)
Glotynn

文章: 57
註冊時間: 週五 3月 31, 2006 11:12 am

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 24 位訪客