協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20111015, article, Taipei

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20111015, article, Taipei

文章s010336000 » 週日 10月 09, 2011 2:14 am

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由Host Master Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第321次例會,2011年10月15日(週六)下午14:30-17:30
Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

Agenda
14:30~15:20 Session I: Ice Breakers + Topic Discussion Q1-Q3
15:20~15:30 Session I Feedback
15:30~15:50 Speaker Session
15:50~16:00 Change Group + Break
16:00~17:00 Session II: Ice Breakers + Topic Discussion Q4-Q6
17:00~17:15 Session II Feedback
17:15~17:30 Happy Time
Taipei Dinner Location

Host/Speaker/Gourmet: Yen/Yen/Elena Schedule

Ice Breakers:
Please introduce yourself to your group.
What do you do for a living? What do you do for fun?
How did you learn about Happy Club?
What current events have you noticed recently?
What are some restaurants you enjoy around Taipei?
What good movies or concerts have you enjoyed lately?
How did you spend your holidays? Was it hard to readjust after the break?

****************************************************************************************************************************
Topic Discussion Article: The Power of an Apology (文章)[/url]

Source: October, 2007; Advanced 彭蒙惠英語; P20~P21

Have you hurt anyone’s feelings lately? Maybe you yelled at someone- but, you say, he really deserved it. Did you remember to go back and apologize later? An apology can keep your hurtful remarks from “bleeding” onto a lot of other people.

For example, a man we’ll call Tom recently told us, “My boss slammed my ego a year ago, and I haven’t gotten over it yet. He has never acted the least bit sorry or tried to smooth things over, even though I have correct all of the problems in my department. ”

When we hurt someone, we need to go back and activity, openly apologize. Otherwise, the person we’ve hurt can pass those emotions on to others. Hurt usually causes ripple effects that keep the “poison” moving on.

Removing the Hurts
“I see clients all of the time who have bruised egos,” says a psychologist friend of ours. We’ll call her Kim. “Some of these individuals are hurting from hateful remarks heard twenty years ago!” she says. “The people who hurt them probably thought the remarks would fizzle. They don’t”

Kim says that hateful words are like painful briars we’ve planted under the skins of other people. “The one who plants the briars must remove them,” she says. “A good old-fashioned apology can work wonders. It doesn’t have to be fancy or wordy. A few simple words, backed up with feeling, will do.”

A woman we’ll call Kelly phoned our office the other day. Kelly is an emergency medical service (EMS) worker. “I just worked a horrible call,” Kelly explained. “A man in my town killed his boss. Then this man drove down the street and plowed his car into a big truck- killing himself.” Kelly believes a quarrel had been brewing between the two for over a year. Neither would apologize or try to de-escalate the tension, according to their coworkers.

Learning to apologize first
“I’ve learned to apologize to my students when I lose my temper,” says a teacher we’ll call Bob. “These kids are upset with family problems, divorced parents and pressures from every turn.” Bob says he encourages his students to share their feelings- right in his math class. “I say to my students, ‘If you’ve argued with your parents, let them know you’re sorry. If you’ve argued with your girlfriend or boyfriend, make it right before the day is over.’”

Apologizing takes real maturity. In fact, those who cannot or will not apologize are not truly mature people. A mature individual is one who can see the problem from all sides- with a decent measure of clarity.

Furthermore, a mature person is one who knows when another person is too immature to offer an apology. So the brighter human extends the hand of apology first. If you’ve quarreled with someone, extend an apology or act of kindness first. Why? When you apologize, you send negative energy and feelings away from yourself. The sooner you do this, the better for all.

Creating positive change
“I decided to apologize to a neighbor who was anger with me,” says a man we’ll call Jack. “Believe me,” says Jack, “I didn’t feel good about the things my neighbor said to me. However, I felt sure he would take his frustrations out on his wife and children. I didn’t want that.”

Jack continues, “My neighbor softened up when I extended a hand of friendship. I do occasionally stroll over to his place to say hello, because I sense there’s tension in that family. Men need to talk with other men- and it’s high time we opened up with each other.”

Jack is intelligent enough to look beyond quarrels and craziness. He’s using human kindness as leverage for positive change. We wish there were more men like Jack.

Vocabulry:
1.ego: 自尊心
2.ripple effect: 滾雪球效應
3.briar:荊棘 plow into: 強行闖入
4.brew: 即將發生(通常指不好的事情)
5.leverage: 影響力

Session1
Q1.Have you ever done something that made others upset? If so, did you apologize to them? What’s your feeling before and after you apologize to them?

Q2.If someone offends you and not apologizes to you after that, what’s your feeling and what would you do for it?

Q3.Sometimes people are forced to apologize (ex: entertainers or politicians said something ridiculous in public, and people asked them to say sorry). Even they do it, do you think they really regret what they did?

Session2
Q4.Sometimes even A apologizes to B, but B cannot forget it. Why it happens? Is there any method to solve it?

Q5. Forgiveness is as important as apologize. When your friend apology to you, how you manage your relationship with them?

Q6. When your friend misunderstand you, try to explain or apologize. Which step, in you opinion, should be taken first?

****************************************************************************************************************************

Vocabulary Help

注意事項(台北):
1. 請準時兩點半(場地限定45人)到東吳大學城區部遊藝廣場2樓!
2. 請務必自行列印文章和Questions for discussions.
3. 與會者不必報名 但請先閱讀過文章,並仔細想過所有的問題,謝謝合作!
4. 新人入場費 100 NT / 會員入場費 50 NT / 可當3次新人 (for 場地租費 etc.)
5. 會員費 1000 NT 永久有效
6. 聚會時請勿講中文或討論政治/種族/宗教/性
7. 聚會完後有聚餐請踴躍參加
8. 每個月不定期有戶內外活動請踴躍參加

Announcements(Taipei):
1. Please arrive at the 2nd Floor Arts Center of Soochow University on time at 2:30 PM (venue capacity 45 ppl)
2. Please print out the article and discussion questions
3. No need to sign up, but please read the article and think about the questions!
4. Guest Entrance Fee 100 NT / Member Entrance Fee 50 NT / Up to 3 Audits (fee for rent, etc.)
5. Membership fee 1000 NT no renewal necessary
6. Highly discouraged in venue: speaking Chinese and forcing your views on politics/racism/religion/sex
7. Feel free to attend our weekly dinner after gathering
8. Feel free to join our many outings

台北,每週六 2:30-5:30 PM
Taipei, every Saturday

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

Map from Google Street View

圖檔
s010336000

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週一 10月 22, 2007 9:56 pm
來自: 新北市板橋區

Re: 20111015, article, Taipei

文章IrisChang » 週五 10月 14, 2011 5:36 am

Thanks for post the article~~
Is it possible to post the hyper link like before?
I think it would be easier to print it out, thanks :)
I'll be there for you.
頭像
IrisChang

文章: 425
註冊時間: 週一 12月 24, 2007 1:44 am

Re: 20111015, article, Picture, Taipei

文章Chrismomo » 週四 10月 20, 2011 9:34 pm

圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
圖檔