協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20050311~20051104 (All the previous articles are here!!!!)

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

文章James Shi » 週三 11月 02, 2005 3:12 pm

Happy English Club英文電子報 本報由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論
Time:第28次例會,2005年 11 月 4 日(週五)晚上7~9點

19:00~20:00 gossiping and chatting
20:00~21:00 topic discussion
Host: James Shi
Assistant Host: Cathy Lin
Topic:Why does she lie?
(Source: http://www.askmen.com/dating/heidi/40b_dating_girl.html)

If you could strap your woman to a lie detector, I think the questions most likely to fly her way would be something to the tune of: "Am I the best lover you've ever had?"; "Do you find me better looking than my best friend?"; and "Do you always orgasm when you say you do?"
These are the equivalent of: "Do these pants make me look fat?"; "Are you sure you like my haircut?"; "Am I better looking than your ex?” and "Are you going to call me tomorrow?"
Now unless you're a brave soul (or have just never experienced the fury of a natural disaster), you won't answer these questions truthfully, that is, if the truth is not necessarily what she wants to hear (she never wants to know that she looks fat, or that your ex would make Tyra and Gisele envious).
The truth is (and the truth may hurt) that if she says "no" to the aforementioned questions you ask, it would reduce your ego to the soles of your Hugo Boss shoes, as she stomps you with her Gucci heel.
These little white lies don't hurt anyone and are only meant as reassurance every now and then; it's therefore okay to tell the person what they want to hear. If the person is so insecure that they feel compelled to ask these questions all the time, then they won't always take your positive response as the absolute truth.
If you and your girlfriend are close enough, then you come to a point where you can each squirm your ways out of these questions, by responding to, "Do these pants look okay?" with, "I think your outfit would look better with your black pants."
She must feel very close to you to truthfully answer these questions without hurting your feelings, but don't hold it against her if she tells these white lies -- her answers are only meant to satisfy your ego, whether they're truthful or not.

Vocabulary:
1. lie detector N. 測謊器 2. orgasm N. 性高潮
3. ego N. 自尊心 4. stomp v.t 重踩,重踏, 跺腳
5. reassurance N. 使安心;再保證 6. squirm v.t 蠕動,扭動, 侷促不安

Questions:

1. Have you ever told a white lie before? If yes, what was that?

2. Except for those white lies aforementioned, what white lies else you
can think of?

3. Do you think white lie is much more popular than the truth?

4. Do you think white lie is an unforgivable vice?
圖檔

Time:第25次例會, 2005年 10月 14日
Host : Arthur Wang
Topic:How To Find Mr. Or Mrs. Right
( Source: http://www.healthcarereview.com/back_is ... p?show=549 )

By Margaret Palmer

Executive searches for CEOs and other administrative leaders follow well-defined paths in order to generate a group of
candidates from which a new leader will be
chosen. Recruitment firms work their incredible magic, producing a pool of folks who fit the criteria specified for the position available. Personnel committees give remarkable efforts from the heart to ensure that the candidate who receives the offer is the one they can live with for a long time.
Finding candidates with the proper credentials and experience is a fairly logical process. Identifying the candidates who are seriously interested in pursuing the rigors of the position posted provides a greater and more complex challenge, however.
Enter the organizational culture. Hidden in any organization’s internal environment is its secrets, truths, habits, traditions, unwritten rules and expectations. Cultures are developed over years – or decades, if prosperity allows – and penetrate every cell within the organization’s boundaries.
Organizational cultures teach us how to behave, what to wear, who is in charge, who to avoid, what is important and what to ignore. Organizational cultures also have the ability and willingness to hide problems of all sizes. Somewhat like the dysfunctional family, organizational cultures can hide the behavioral idiosyncrasies or the ethical breaches of leaders. The loyalty of acculturated members disallows the revelation of the dysfunction(s). And in fact, over time, dysfunctions become such an integral part of the landscape that they become sacred.
It is highly possible that candidates delivered to you from the rigors of candidate searches will arrive for their interviews without an understanding of the organizational culture he/she is about to join. Unless the candidate is particularly savvy and works diligently to acquire an awareness of the culture, the process of interviewing becomes a mostly meaningless effort. No one from the interviewing committee will be explaining the organizational culture, no brochure defines it and no questions about it are answered honestly.
In fact, many organizational leaders overlook the power and prevailing winds of an organizational culture. This is all very important information, but it represents only a part of the whole.

Making the match
Ensuring a good fit with a new candidate requires the efforts of serious “matchmaking.” Two distinct phases mark an effective matchmaking. Phase I should include an unbiased assessment of both your organizational culture and the one from which the candidate comes. Be aware that candidates for leadership positions are savvy investigators and are likely very interested in learning the underlying currents that define your culture.
As the potential employer, you will want to be fully conscious, yourself, of the powerful qualities that define your organization. Since leaders tend to be the architects of organizational cultures, you will want to know what culture your candidate is leaving. Does it have similar qualities to yours?
Phase 2 is a personality assessment of the candidate(s) under serious consideration. A personality assessment can determine a person’s potential success for integrating with a particular organization, and its expectations and goals. The interviewing personality is vastly different from the working personality that is rooted in core values and perspectives. Knowing a potential leader’s personality allows you to make decisions more in keeping with your organization’s nature.

Organizational assessment
An analysis of the organization’s
culture reveals: an understanding of how to motivate people, what keeps things stuck, what fears prevent or promote growth and creativity, and what work processes or
relationships actually prevent or promote
successful communication.
Assessing an organization requires examination of the roles of leaders, managers and staff, as well as the expectations that each group has of each other and of themselves. Revealed in an organizational assessment is the reality of how an organization really functions. Informal power often trumps the power configurations defined by the organizational chart. Rites, traditions, methods of communication, expectations and accepted behaviors are all key elements in the definition of an organization’s culture.
No judgment needs to be made on the quality of the organizational culture, but understanding its power and ability to instruct are critical to inviting the “right” candidate who will maintain the prevailing culture. Any radical change of a culture by a new leader is met with great dissatisfaction.

Personality assessment
Credentials matched with the position requirements are essential in candidate selection, but do not foretell the person who will emerge once hired. Identifying the base elements of a candidate’s personality allows a much more effective match between the candidate and the culture for which s/he is being considered.
If, for example, the organization is searching for a strong leader who is fiscally savvy above all else, it is significantly possible that the qualities that come with a strong fiscal candidate conflict with the other roles expected, such as speaking to large community gatherings, politicking at the state house and entertaining staff at
regular breakfasts.
Personality assessments do not qualify for submission in a personnel file or
generate data that could harm someone in an adverse situation. Their value to the
hiring organization is immeasurable when matched to the existing organizational
culture’s qualities.
Bottom line here is this: Know yourself well before inviting strangers into your house. Do not expect the new leader to be all things to all people unless you have screened your candidates carefully and consciously based on the matching qualities of your organization’s culture.

Vocabulary:
1.incredible 不可信的 2. credential 證書 3. penetrate 刺入
4. idiosyncrasies 氣質 5. revelation 揭示 6. dysfunction 官能障礙
7. savvy 悟性 8. fiscal 財政的 9. politicking 政治活動

Questions:

1.As followed candidates for a leader, whom would you prefer?

a. Aggressive but old
b. Loyal but stupid
c. Talent but corrupt
d. Diligent but stubborn
Please share your answer and reasons with us.

2. If you have a good talent subordinator, but he can’t merge your company culture. What would you do? Let him leave or stay?

3.If you stayed the same position with high salary for many years, but never promote you. What would you do? Share your opinions with us?

References:
http://www.healthcarereview.com/back_is ... p?show=549

圖檔

Time:第24次例會, 2005年 10月 7 日
Host : Cathy Lin
Assistant Host: David Jr.
Topic:Nobody's Fool
(Source: Avril Lavigne(艾薇兒)—專輯唱片:Let go展翅高飛)
Fall back Take a look at me
And you'll see I'm for real
I feel what only I can feel
And if that don't appeal to you
Let me know
And I'll go
'Cuz I flow
Better when my colors show
And that's the way it has to be
Honestly
'Cuz creativity could never bloom
In my room
I'd throw it all away before I lie
So don't call me with a compromise
Hang up the phone
I've got a backbone stronger than yours
La la la la la lala la la la la laa la la la la
[chorus]
If you're trying to turn me into someone else
It’s easy to see I'm not down with that
I'm not nobody's fool
If you're trying to turn me into something else
I've seen enough and I'm over that
I'm not nobody's fool
If you wanna bring me down
Go ahead and try
Go ahead and try
You don't know
You think you know me like yourself
But I fear
That you're only telling me what I wanna hear
But do you give a damn
Understand
That I can't not be what I am
I'm not the milk and cheerios in your spoon
It’s not a simple hearing but not so soon
I might've fallen for that when I was fourteen
And a little more green
But it’s amazing what a couple of years can mean
La la la la la laLa la la la la la
[chorus]
Go ahead and try
Try and look me in the eye
But you'll never see inside
Until you realize, realize
Things are trying to settle down
Just try to figure out
Exactly what I'm about
If it’s with or without you
I don't need you doubting me
[chorus]
La la la la la laa la la la la la lala la la la la
Would you be laughing out loud
If I played to my own crowd
Try

Questions:
1. What type of songs do you like? R&B, Rap, Classic Music, or Jazz…
Can you sing or whistle a little to your group?
2. Have you ever been very touched by one song or one movie or one article or one book?
Which one ? Any why?
3. You know what’s “ pirate”? Have you ever download some nice songs from internet?
Image if you are the singer or government officers what strategy to avoid pirate?
( Moreover, you think the cost of the album is beyond your budget and you think the creators and manufactories really need to review and lower the price? )
That’s vote for this subject 1. Lower the selling price of album? 2. You think the price of normal album make sense, you accept and can afford it.
4. Eventually, promote us some singers or some songs who and which you like them very much? Why?

圖檔

Time:第23次例會, 2005年 9月 30 日

Host : David Jr.

Topic:7 Types Of Guys Women Can't Resist

( Source: Askmen.com )

The article below is extracted from original article.

Please check the link below for complete article, which you should never miss.

http://www.askmen.com/dating/heidi_100/ ... _girl.html

Have you ever wondered why some guys have all the luck when it comes to women? It's no secret that certain archetypal males have been proven over and over to be irresistible to women -- and it's not simply because of their swarthy good looks or a well-defined six pack.

The truth is that women tend to be attracted to certain personality traits and so, naturally, they flock to the men who possess them.

Below are seven of these 'ideal types' of guys that women are drawn to, and an explanation as to why these guys are so appealing to them. But don't freak out or permanently alter your personality if you don't fit into any of these categories exactly --women will see right through that.

1. The Romantic Guy
He believes in classic romance. He is constantly bringing her flowers and chocolate and lighting candles during dinner. He calls her often to let her know he is thinking about her, and looks into her eyes and tells her how he feels.

2. The Confident Guy
He is totally secure and sure of himself. He is assertive in public, and gives off an aura of power and control (within reason, of course, as the "cocky guy" is not on this list). In a relationship, he doesn't get jealous of other men; he doesn't feel threatened by his girlfriend's male friends or coworkers.

3. The Artistic Guy
The artistic guy is spontaneous and lives for the moment. Often, he will use his creativity to woo her, such as with a song he has written about her or a painting he has made for her.

4. The Foreign Guy
He comes from a faraway exotic country; he might have a cute accent or a unique way of seeing the world. His social customs and everyday behavior can be a little quirky, but he always manages to come off as uniquely charming. Note that you don't have to actually be foreign to fit into this category. If you are well-traveled or speak many languages, you might be able to pull off the charm as well as any sweet-talking foreigner.

5. The Free Spirit Guy (a.k.a. The Bad Boy)
The Free Spirit Guy goes where the wind takes him, and the wind usually takes him on some kind of wacky adventure. He might ride a motorcycle, or he might skip work to take her on a last-minute road trip. But this guy doesn't worry too much about the consequences; he just sees where his own devices take him.

6. The Intelligent/Witty Guy
He instigates conversations that are intellectually stimulating and listens to what she has to say in response. He makes her laugh with his clever sense of humor and has an uncanny ability to make politics interesting. He can shoot the breeze with her for hours and it will never get boring.

7. The Considerate Guy
He holds open her car door and pulls out her chair. He foots the bill for dinner and makes sure to offer her dessert. He always asks her out with reasonable notice and picks her up at her door. He is generally sensitive to how she is feeling and when she is ready to go home.

Don't take any of these character types to the extreme or try to be someone you're not -- it will be way too obvious.

The key to success here is to keep in mind why women like the character traits outlined above and what kind of gestures they appreciate. Then, mix them up and see which of these traits and gestures you are most comfortable with. With just a little bit of effort, you'll be able to find more than a few irresistible qualities within yourself -- and accordingly, she'll be easily wooed by your newfound individuality.

Vocabulary:
1. archetype:原型 2. aura:氣氛 3. woo:追求 4. quirky:古怪的 5. instigate:唆使;慫恿 6. uncanny:神奇的,不可思議的 7. foot the bill:負擔費用

Questions for men

1. Among these 7 types, which one are you more likely to be?

2. How do you attract women before you read today’s article?

Questions for women

1. Among these 7 types, which one are you more likely to be attracted to? Why?

2. Think about your real experience. What kind of men were you attracted to? And what kind of men were you definitely not attracted to?

Question for all~

3. Do you think attraction skill can be learned, cultivated and developed? If yes, how?

References:

http://www.Askmen.com

圖檔

Time:第22次例會, 2005年 9 月 23 日

Host: James Shi

Topic:Househusbands: When Mommy Brings Home the Bacon

(Source: English Digest 2004 May)

During the heyday of the nuclear family in the fifties, family structures and parental roles were clearly defined, three decades of feminism have hoisted women into high salary position, and now 30% of working wives earn more than their husbands. This modern shift in gender roles is beginning to transform the “man of the house” into a “househusband”.

Stay-at-home dads will likely admit that giving up the rat race to run a household is no walk in the park. Even men who feel secure in their new role sometimes experience a sense of aimlessness or unimportance. Nevertheless, an online poll showed over 60% of men and 80% of women loved the idea of househusbands.

But is this role reversal so new? Twenty years ago, Hollywood showed us Michael Keaton donning an apron in Mr. Mom, and more recently, we saw Eddie Murphy become a childcare professional in Daddy Daycare. So, shouldn’t househusbands be a commonplace experience by now? For centuries, women sacrificed careers for caretaking and no one batted an eye. Perhaps someday househusbands will also be considered the norm and not anomalies.

Supplement:

According to the provisions of Swedish law, after the child born, the parents have the right to choose who wants to nurse children at home and who wants to work and make money to support the family. If the husband decides to serve as the househusband, can enjoy the ”maternity leave” of 360 days, the government pays 80% of his original salary during this time. In addition, they have “father leave” of 450 days, but must complete all the leaves before the child reaches the age of 8.

The appearance of the househusband is a response to the thing that the pattern of labor market changes of Swedish society. Economic recession or unstable period, the male job demand reduces, and the demand for the traditional women's job still remains high. That’s one cause that the househusbands are getting more and more.

Vocabulary:
1. heyday 全盛期 = golden age
2. feminism 男女平等主義
3. rat race【俚】(商界) 奔波忙碌
4. aimlessness 無目的
5. poll 民調
6. reversal 轉換; 顛倒
7. don 穿上
8. apron 圍裙; 工作裙
9. commonplace 司空見慣(的事)
10. no bat an eye 不感到驚奇或詑異
11. anomaly 反常(事物);異常(現象)
12. maternity leave 產假

Questions:

1. What’s your definition of “Househusband”?

2. For men’s question: “If you don’t have to worry about the economic issue, are you willing to be the househusband?” Why or why not? Share us your opinions.

3. For women’s question: “Do you support that a man plays a role as househusband?” Why or why not? Share us your opinions.

Reference:

http://littleoslo.com/cnt/news/news200414.htm

圖檔

Time:第21次例會, 2005年 9月16 日

Host : Gary Kong

Assistant Host: Candy Yang

Topic:List published of richest people in the world

Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learn ... hest.shtml

In the USA, Forbes magazine has published its annual list of the richest people in the world. Bill Gates of Microsoft is the richest man again for the eleventh successive year with a fortune of forty-four billion dollars.

There is a record of 691 dollar billionaires, according to Forbes magazine. Between them they have a fortune of two point two trillion dollars. That figure is slightly more than the annual value of all goods and services produced in China and India, the two most populous countries. The highest concentration of the ultra-rich is in New York, followed by Moscow and San Francisco and then London and Los Angeles. But in total the very wealthy live in forty seven different countries, with Iceland, Kazakhstan, Ukraine and Poland entering the list for the first time this year.

Laksmi Mittal, an Indian born steel tycoon, enjoyed the biggest increase in personal fortune. His net worth has quadrupled to thirteen billion dollars making him the world's third richest man. Ingvar Kamprad, founder of the Swedish furniture chain Ikea, also saw a big increase in wealth taking him to sixth place. Developing countries make more of a showing than in past years - there are for example three Russians and four Indians in the top sixty richest people, though surprisingly perhaps none from China, excluding Hong Kong. Asian wealth is probably under-represented as it usually spread among families, whereas Forbes looks at individuals.

Relatively few women feature in the list - among them is JK Rowling, author of the Harry Potter novels, ranked 620th with a fortune of 519 million dollars. New entrants to the list include the founders of the internet search group Google Sergie Brin and Larry Page, each worth more than seven billion dollars after their company's recent stock market debut. The richest Italian is the prime minister Silvio Berlusconi, ranked number 25 in the global wealth league (Group).

² Vocabularies

1. Successive following one after another / following in order

2. dollar billionaires a billion is one thousand million (1,000,000,000). A dollar billionaire is someone who has the equivalent of a billion dollars in money and property.

3. Trillion a trillion is a million million (1,000,000,000,000)

4. most populous with the highest number of people living there

5. ultra-rich very very rich

6. net worth 'net' is used to describe the value of something after all deductions e.g. tax have been deducted. A person's net worth is how much all their property, investments and so on are worth.

7. Quadrupled increased by four times / being the fourth of four things exactly alike

8. developing countries a poor country which is trying to build up industry and improve the living conditions for people who live there.

9. under-represented In this case, shown to be less than its true value

10. founders the people who started and created a company

² Questions

1. How to make more money in positive way? Please point out your workable methods. How much wealth is enough for you right now?

2. Except your job. Have you made an investment in some businesses? Either a successful or failure experience, whatever, shares the opinions with us.

3. Wealth can make you happiness! Family also can make you happiness. Healthy also can make you happiness too! Please list your priority of each one. Then explain each of them in your mind.

References: http://www.forbes.com/billionaires/

圖檔

Time:第20次例會, 2005年 9月 9 日
Host : Sam Cheng
Topic:How to make a million
( Source:New Business Matters by Mark Powell, Ron Martinz & Rosi Jillett )

What are the easiest routes to making your first million? Intelligence? Hard work? Inheritance? An outstanding education? Luck? A tough childhood? Good looks?
Work with a partner and list your ideas. Then compare them with those in the article below. Are you at all surprised by what you read?

Trying to make you first million? Then forget about drive, imitative and ingenuity. And don’t let anyone tell you it’s about putting in an 18-hour day, having a sudden stroke of genius or beating the system as you work your way to the top. Statistically speaking, your chances of making a fortune will largely depend on how fortunate you are in the first place. According to all the surveys, here are four sure-fire ways of getting rich:
1. START OFF RICH.
It’s depressing but true that half of Britain’s 95,000 millionaires were born into wealthy families, and so were a quarter of those who head country’s largest corporations. When you’re rich already it takes a special kind of person not to get richer.
2. DO BADLY AT SCHOOL.
Richard Branson, the founder of Virgin, is the classic case, leaving school at sixteen to start a mail-order record company and ending up running his own airline, publishing, broadcasting, construction and holiday empire. He’s not alone. Almost two-thirds of the UK’s top earners finished their education early. And the studious graduate is less likely to be found staying at the Hilton Hotel than applying for a job in its kitchens.
3. LOST A PARENT.
Amazingly, only five per cent of successful entrepreneurs had both parents present throughout their childhood. Perhaps a lack of parental control gives you the toughness, resilience and independence you need to make it on your own.
4. BE BEAUTIFUL.
Silly as it sounds, good looks really do get you places, both in terms of career and marital prospects. If you are too pretty, however, people may tend to assume that you’re nice but stupid and pass you over for promotion.
So what can we do if we’re born poor and ugly, pass all our exams and have parents who look as though they will make ninety………?
“THE ULTIMATE RISK IS NOT TAKING A RISK!” by James Goldsmith
Think about an Entrepreneurs
An entrepreneur is not what you are, it’s what you become, and real entrepreneur exist only in retrospect. At first, nobody takes them seriously. They’re crackpots, dreamers, unemployables. And by the time they’ve finally earned the respect of the business community, they’ve already make it. So cancel the classes on entrepreneurship and throw out your business plan. For the road to entrepreneurial success can’t be mapped out in advance. You get there once sale at a time.

Vocabulary:
1. Inheritance
2. drive
3. imitative
4. ingenuity
5. Statistically
6. corporations
7. mail-order record
8. parental
9. resilience
10. in terms of
11. marital
12. entrepreneur
13. retrospect
14. crackpots
15. millionaire
16. intuition
17. enterprise

Questions:
1. According to your opinion, what are the characteristics of rich people?
2. Do you want to be a millionaire? What special quality do you have?
3. Can you think of a time when you had to use your intuition and ingenuity to accomplish something that couldn’t be worked out logically?
4. Would you give up a steady job to take a chance on developing your own enterprise?

圖檔

Time:第19次例會, 2005年 9 月 2 日
Host : James Shi
Assistant Host:
Topic:Dealing with dislike
( Source: Global Village /September 2001 )
If we were to be totally honest, most of us would admit to disliking--maybe even hating--certain people with whom we have regular contact. Sometimes it’s coworkers that we can’t put up with; more often than not, it’s one or more of our superiors who fit that description. Other times it might be our roommate in the dorm or a friend that always comes over to visit that roommate. Perhaps it’s that classmate that always manages to occupy the empty seat that’s in your immediate vicinity.

Getting along with folks you like is simple. Getting along with people you hate is not only complicated, but-for most of us-it’s a fact of life. There are a certain number of relationships that we have to maintain whether or not we like it.

Here comes some ways that most people use to avoid direct interaction with people they don’t like:
1. Trying to engage in a separate activity other than just talking while with the disliked person.
2. Trying to interact with the person only while in group settings.
3. Avoiding asking or answering personal questions when with the person.
4. Trying to humor or tolerate the person.
5. Attempting to speed up the actual length of interactions with the individual.

There are many reasons people might distance themselves from others, not all of which indicate a dislike for others. When people avoid you, it doesn’t always indicate dislike. If you dislike the person yourself, however, there’s a good chance that the feeling is mutual.

Vocabulary:
1. to put up with (someone or something) 忍受某人或某事 2. more often than not 大多數情況下 3. vicinity 附近 4. a fact of life 無法改變的事實 5. humor 迎合; 遷就

Questions:
1. Can you think of additional methods for coping with dislikable people that weren’t mentioned above?
2. What would you do if the person you don’t like keeps talking to you?
3. Would you consider quitting your job, transferring to a different school or moving house just to avoid a certain individual?
圖檔

Time:第18次例會, 2005年 8 月 26日

Host : Felicia Wang

Assistant Host: Vincent Jan

Topic:It’s about time(1)

( Source: 英文教材 Can you Believe It? Page 6)

Victoria and Andrew live in a small village in Sicily. They are in love. One day, Andrew gives Victoria an engagement ring and asks her to marry him. Victoria accepts, but she adds,”Let’s wait to get married until we can afford(2) the perfect wedding! We don’t have enough money now.”

Victoria begins to shop for a wedding dress, and she soon finds the perfect one. It’s long, lacy, and beautiful. But it costs an arm and a leg(3) ! So Victoria starts to save her money. She makes a small payment every year. She saves up for 40 years!

At long last(4), after a 40-year engagement, Victoria can buy the wedding dress. She and Andrew decide to tie the knot(5).

At the wedding, Victoria looks beautiful in her dress. The newlyweds(6) are in seventh heaven(7). They dance, drink champagne, and eat caviar. Afterward, they ride off in a horse-drawn carriage. Their friends watch them and think, “It’s about time!”

Vocabulary and Idioms:

1.It’s about time – 該是時候了

2.can afford – 負擔得起

3. Cost an arm and a leg – be very expensive,costly 非常昂貴

4. at long last – after a very long time,finally

5. Tie the knot – 結婚

6. Newlyweds –新婚的人

7.Be in seventh heaven – be very happy

Questions:

1. Are you patient? Can you imagine waiting 40 years for something? If yes, what’s that thing?

2.Is it important to be in love when you get married? Explain your ideas.

3.Have you ever bought something that cost an arm and a leg? If so, what’s that?

4.(For female) What kind of proposal (求婚) do you expect?
(For male) How would you like to propose?

圖檔

Time:第17次例會, 2005年 8 月 19 日

Host : Stanley

Assistant Host: Angel

Topic:Find the Job That’s Right for You!

( Source: Interchange

CAMBRIDGE UNIVERSITY PRESS www.cambridge.org

The authors: Professor Jack C. Richards & Chuck Standy)

1. Nearly 50% of all workers in the United States have jobs they aren’t happy with. Don’t let this happen to you! If you want to find the right job, don’t rush to look through the classified ads in the newspaper. Instead, sit down and think about yourself. What kind of person are you? What makes you happy?

2. According to psychologist John Holland, there are six types of personalities. Nobody is just one personality type, but most people are mainly one type. For each type, there are certain jobs that might be right and others that are probably wrong.

3. Considering your personality type can help you make the right job decision. Liz is a good example. Liz knew she wanted to do something for children. She thought she could help children as a school counselor or a lawyer. She took counseling and law courses – and hated them. After talking to a career counselor, she realized the problem was that she’s an Artistic type. Liz studied film, and she now produces children’s TV shows – and loves it.

l The Realistic type is practical and likes working with machines and tools.

l The Investigative type is curious and likes to learn, analyze situations, and solve problems.

l The Artistic type is imaginative and likes to express himself or herself by creating art.

l The Social type is friendly and likes helping or training other people.

l The Enterprising type is outgoing and likes to persuade or lead other people.

l The Conventional type is careful and likes to follow routines and keep track of details.

A. Read the article. Then find these sentences in the article. Decide whether each sentence is the main idea or a supporting idea in that paragraph. Check (V) the correct boxes.

Main idea
Supporting idea

1. Nearly 50% of all workers . . . they aren’t happy with. (par. 1)

2. According to psychologist . . . types of personalities. (par. 2)

3. For each type, there are . . . that are probably wrong. (par. 2)

4. Considering your personality . . . the right job decision. (par. 3)

5. After talking to a career counselor, . . . an Artistic type. (par. 3)

B. For each personality type, write two examples of appropriate jobs.

Then explain your answers to your group.

Realistic
Investigative
Artistic
Social
Enterprising
Conventional

C. Group work:

1. What personality type do you think you are?

2. Think about your own positive and negative qualities. Make a list. Then decide which quality is most positive and which is most negative.

Vocabulary:
1. realistic 現實的,注重實際的

2. investigative 調查的,研究性的

3. artistic 有藝術天賦的

4. social喜歡交際的

5. enterprising有事業心的;富進取心的;有魄力的

6. conventional習慣的,慣例的

7. counselor (協助學生解決問題的)指導老師

References:

圖檔

Time:第16次例會, 2005年 8 月 12 日
Host: Cathy
Assistant Host: Stanley
Topic:Upside-Down Families
( Source: CAMBRIDGE, UNIVERSITY PRESS, www.cambridge.org , The authors:
Professor Jack C. Richards & Chuck Standy )

The parents set the rules and the children obey, right? Wrong. In a growing number of North American families, adults have let their children take over. “Parents want to be nurturing and make their small children happy, but many have become confused about the best way to achieve this,” explains a noted child psychologist. “Large numbers of parents are being controlled by their child, to the point that entire families end up organizing themselves around a small child’s emotions.”

The problem is that many mothers and fathers try to be a friend to their children. However, parenting is not a popularity contest. Challenging authority is a normal part of child development and is the strongest between the ages of four and six. Setting rules and enforcing them teaches the child that he or she is equal in worth but not equal in authority. Then the child feels safe and secure and can be a kid again. Believe it or not, it’s frightening for children to realize they are in charge of a situation. In upside-down families, when parents back down from rules they set, children become very insecure, anxious, and out of control. They don’t trust their parents to protect them. Parents should follow these tips to avoid this situation and keep control.

:arrow: Be a leader. Parents cannot guide a child and seek his or her approval of their decisions at the same time. Don’t say, “It’s time for bed. OK?” Instead, say, “It’s time for bed, kids.”
:arrow: Don’t make rules quickly and then change them. It’s very important to be consistent. Once you make a rule, stick to it.
:arrow: Pay less attention to your children when their behavior is bad and more when it is good. Do not reward bad behavior by giving extra attention to it. Instead, save your attention for when the child acts appropriately.
:arrow: 8) Don’t allow our kids to call you by your first name. This removes the authority figure in a child’s life. Children need parents, not another friend.

Vocabulary:
1. anxious 憂慮的

Questions:
1.Do you think your parents are too strict? Why or why not?
2.Will you use the same rules to raise your children in the future?
3.How will you celebrate Father’s Day this year? Tell us more about it.
圖檔

Time:第15次例會, 2005年 8 月 5 日
Host : Trina Chiou
Assistant Host: Edison
Topic:An Angel
( Source: Readers’ Digest, December 2004 )
Carol was nine years old. Only a year earlier, she had been a healthy, rosy-cheeked girl. Then shortly after the Christmas holidays, she developed a high temperature that persisted for several days. The diagnosis: acute leukemia.
Carol’s days were numbered. Everybody knew it. She might have known it, too. But she never once showed that she was sick and tired of it all. With extraordinary patience and courage, she withstood countless blood transfusions, injections and tests.
Everybody in the hospital loved Carol—not out of pity, but because she had something special in her. Each morning she would ask to be wheeled around the ward, stopping at every bed to greet other young patients. Many times she would share her flowers and sweets with them. As the only daughter of a successful banker, she always had both in abundance. But she wasn’t a spoiled brat.
Despite her age, she was capable of showing compassion, kindness, patience, love and faith. She brought sunshine into the hearts of people wherever she went.

1 acute- 急性的 4 transfusion-輸血
2leukemia- 白血病 5 ward-病房
3 Carol’s days 6 brat-小傢伙
were numbered-Carol命在旦夕

Questions:
*1. Why do people love Carol?
*2. What’s your definition for “angel”? Who is the “angel” in your mind? Talk to your teammates about this person.
*3. Do you have any more moving stories that you want to share with everyone?

The following is a joke for you to relax. I hope you enjoy it.

Source: United Evening News, July 15

Truth In Politics

It was election time. A politician decided to go out to the local reservation and try to get the Native American vote. They were all assembled in the Council Hall to hear the speech.
The politician had worked up to his finale, and the crowd was getting more and more excited. “I promise better education opportunities for the Native Americans!”
The crow went wild, shouting “Hoya! Hoya!”
The politician was a bit puzzled by the native word, but was encouraged by their enthusiasm. “I promise gambling reforms to allow a Casino on the Reservation!”
“Hoya! Hoya!” cried the crowd, stamping their feet.
“I promise more social reforms and job opportunities for Native Americans!” The crowd reached a frenzied pitch shouting “Hoya! Hoya!”
After the speech, the politician was touring the Reservation, and saw a herd of cattle. He asked the Chief if he could get closer to look at the cattle.
“Sure,” the Chief said, “but be careful not to step in the hoya.”

Questions:
*1.Guess what “hoya” is?
*2.Have you ever embarrassed yourself? Would you like to tell us about it?

References :
http://www.rdasia.com
http://www.realhumour.co.uk

圖檔

Time:第14次例會, 2005年 7 月 29 日
Host : James Chen
Assistant Host: Angle
Topic:Analysis
( Source: points of view )

Directions: Read the following story carefully.
One: Studying foreign language
Edward is entering a university and has to decide what foreign language to study, since he needs 12 credit hours to graduate. He studied Spanish in high school and even had a chance to use some of it when he took a trip to Mexico one summer. He enjoyed his trip very much and thought that maybe some day he would like to work
for an international company based in Latin America.

The reason the university requires students to study a foreign language is because they feel that it makes the students more sophisticated and educated. Edward does not feel that this should be the main reason for studying a foreign language. He thinks that being able to communicate among different cultures is far more important than just impressing people with your knowledge of the language.

After considering the possibilities of studying German or French so that he could travel in Europe with little difficulty, he finally makes up his mind to continue studying Spanish. He feels that a high level of proficiency in Spanish would make it much easier for him to be accepted socially and culturally if he decides to live in a
Spanish-speaking country for some time.

To travel abroad ------------
To get a job ------------
To lean about another culture -------------
To be accepted by the people of another
Culture or country --------------
To be more sophisticated and educated ---------------
To fulfill an educational requirement ---------------

Two : Deciding where to live
Anna and Herman are a young married couple with two small children. They live in
a large city in a small apartment, thinking about moving to a larger place, but they
haven’t decided yet if they should find a place in the city , move to the suburbs , or live in the country.
Anna was raised in the city and likes the convenience and lively atmosphere of city life, especially the educational, cultural and social opportunities. Herman on the other hand, likes the advantages of the friendly small town life that he knew as a boy when he had plenty of space and opportunities to enjoy the countryside. During the week , Herman works long hours for an accounting firm downtown . Anna is busy caring for their children, but she also finds time to attend art classes twice a month and weekly
meetings of a local anti-pollution organization. On the weekends they devote themselves to recreation. Sometimes they go out for dinner and a concert with their friends who also live in the city. Sometimes they take their children for a picnic and hiking , to a park , or to swim or play tennis. However, they both feel that the good recreation areas are all too far away, and they have to spend a lot of time just getting there. The park near their house, on the other hand, is crowded and affected by increasing noise and environmental pollution of the city.
Anna generally dislikes the idea of moving into the country, except that she would like them to own their own home in the country where the rate of real estate is relatively low. Herman would gladly move to the countryside , except that he dislikes the idea of spending so much time commuting to and from his office.

The time it takes to get to work --------------
Opportunities for entertainment and cultural activities ---------------
The cost of housing and food ---------------
Opportunities for and quality of education ---------------
A quiet and clean environment ----------------
The amount of space you would have to live in and move
around in outside ----------------
The kind of neighbor you would have ------------------
The conveniences of living ( shopping , availability of
goods , services , material comfort ) -----------------

Vocabulary:

1. sophisticated : 老於世固 9. educated : 受過教育
2. educated : 精通 10. socially : 在社教方面
3. culturally : 從文化角度 11. fulfill : 服從
4. downtown : 城市商業區 12. devote :專心致力於
5. recreation : 娛樂 13.environmental : 環境的
6. relatively : 相對地 14.estate : 不動產
7. countryside : 農村 15. commuting : 減輕
8. availability : 可利用性

Questions:

One: Studying foreign language
1 Do you think some people can learn language more easily than others ? If so , what factors do you think make the difference ?
2 What are the advantages in your country of being able to speak more than one language ?
3 Why you are studying English ?

Two : Deciding where to live
1 How do you get to school or work, and how long does it take?
2 If you had a choice of living anywhere you want , what kind of
place would it be ?
圖檔

Time:第13次例會, 2005年 7 月 22 日
Host : James Shi
Assistant Host: Candy
Topic:The Betel Nut Challenge
( Source: Landmark, June, 2000 )
Betel nuts are very much like cigarettes: They are very popular, but, as doctors have been confirming over recent years, they are also very dangerous. As a result, they give government officials a difficult task.

Betel nuts are popular among taxi drivers and others. To many people, this “Taiwanese chewing gum” is almost a national symbol, Chewer see betel as harmless, aside from its turning their teeth red.

However, doctors have been telling us a different story. They see betel as a major cause of oral cancer and possibly of other health problems. During the nineties, betel nuts became much more popular; during that time, the number of deaths form mouth cancer doubled. Studies show that up to 90% of people suffering from mouth cancer are betel nut chewers.

The Taipei city government began regulating betel nuts recently, but the fight is a hard one. Around this island, stands have become brighter and fancier to attract more business, and many hire teenage girls to draw in customers.

In another effort, the national government has tried to discourage the growing of betel nut trees. Their shallow roots allow soil to be washed away during heavy rains, resulting in landslides and other problems.

Clearly, betel nuts present the government with a huge challenge. There is a great need to regulate or stop the use of betel nuts, however, there is a great resistance against efforts to do so.

Vocabulary:
1. aside from = except 2. draw in = attract 3. result in = cause 4. present with = give

Questions:
1. Why are betel nuts so popular among taxi drivers?
2. Why do so many farmers grow the betel nut trees?
3. What is your comment about “Betel nut beauties”? Do you agree it is a kind of
Taiwanese specialty?

References:
http://www.taipeitimes.com/news
http://home.kimo.com.tw/kiang78/paper.htm

圖檔

Time:第12次例會, 2005年 7 月 15 日
Host : Alen Huang
Assistant Host:
Topic:Resolve the differences
( Source: Lyrics from “Let’s call the whole thing off” & “I’ll be there for you” )
Let’s call the whole thing off

Things have come to a pretty pass
Our romance is growing flat,
For you like this and the other
While I go for this and that,
Goodness knows what the end will be
Oh I don't know where I'm at
It looks as if we two will never be one
Something must be done:

You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh, if we call the whole thing off Then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you like pyjamas and I like pyjahmas, I'll wear pyjamas and give up
pyajahmas
For we know we need each other so we , Better call the whole off off
Let's call the whole thing off.

Chorus - 2
You say laughter and I say larfter, You say after and I say arfter
Laughter, larfter after arfter, Let's call the whole thing off,

You like vanilla and I like vanella, You saspiralla, and I saspirella
Vanilla vanella chocolate strawberry, Let's call the whole thing off

But oh if we call the whole thing of then we must part
And oh, if we ever part, then that might break my heart

So if you go for oysters and I go for ersters, I'll order oysters and cancel
the ersters
For we know we need each other so we, Better call the calling off off,
Let's call the whole thing off.

I’ll be there for you
So no one told you life was gonna be this way
Your job's a joke, you're broke, your love life's D.O.A.
It's like you're always stuck in second gear
When it hasn't been your day, your week, your month, or even your year
But,

I'll be there for you (When the rain starts to pour)
I'll be there for you (Like I've been there before)
I'll be there for you ('Cause you're there for me too)

You're still in bed at 10 and work began at 8
You burned your breakfast so far, things are going great
Your mother warned you there'd be days like these
But she didn't tell you when the world has brought you down to your knees
And,

No one could ever know me
No one could ever see me
Sometime the only one who knows what it’s like to be me
Someone to face the day with,
make it through all the mess with
Someone I'll always laugh with,
even under the worst I'm best with you

Vocabulary:
1. pyjamas: (尤指男人的)睡衣褲 2. vanilla: 【植】香子蘭;香草
3. part = leave each other apart
I, XXXXX take thee YYYYY to be my wedded wife/husband, to have and to hold from this day forward, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish, till death do us part, according to God’s holy ordinance.
4. oyster: 牡蠣
5. D.O.A.=dead on arrival 6.gonna=going to
7. You are broke.=You’d got no money; bankruptcy.
8. I go for this and that.= I like this and that; I want this and that
9. I’m full.= I cannot eat anymore food.
10. May I ask you out? 11.Are you seeing anybody now?
12.I have a cross on you. 13. Knock it off.
14.You suck. 15. What a lame excuse.
16.Crap. What a crap.

Questions:
1. Does your best friend or bf/gf have many things in common with you? If not, how do you resolve the difference between you and him/her?
2. Do you have any intimate friends? What kind of things would you share with them? And when would you need them most?
3. What does it mean in Vocabulary 10-16? Please list other idioms that you heard before.

References:
http://220.135.32.252/doc/callthingoff.mp3

圖檔

Time:第10次例會, 2005年 7 月 1 日

Host : Sam
Assistant Host:
Topic:It All Begins With You
( Source: Advanced Magazine 2005 February Edition)
◆ by Richard Ensman
Enthusiasm: it’s that quality that brings zest and energy into each day. And with a bit of practice, you can be a source of enthusiasm at work, spreading an uplifting attitude to those around you. Here’s how:
Remember your importance. A unique talent or aptitude would be lost if you were not present in your workplace. Chances are you bring some special quality or skill to the work you’re doing.
Speak with pride. Next time you speak about your job to friends, acquaintances or neighbors, focus on something special you’ve contributed to the workplace recently—or speak about some innovation or success for which you and your coworkers have been responsible. In short, speak about your job with pride!
Stay positive
Focus on the positives. Like everyone else, you have a bad day from time to time. Things don’t always run smoothly at work. But the next time you feel your morale ebbing a bit, make a mental list of the best 051020moments you’ve had on the job in the last several months. Ponder these and you may find your enthusiasm returning.
Improve something. Every single day you have a myriad of opportunities to make improvements in the workplace. Maybe it’s nothing more than rearranging a filing cabinet for greater efficiency. However small your improvements might seem, they add up and become important.
Help others. Teamwork is the name of the game in today’s fast-paced workplace. Working together, people can accomplish great things. So the next time a fellow employee needs help with a task or problem, be there to offer whatever guidance you can. You’ll set an example for the entire workplace.
Remember the simple courtesies
Never forget testimonials. Think about the last time someone complimented you on a job well done. Or remember the praise you received from a delighted employee, customer or supervisor for solving a problem. Never forget these simple testimonials, and resolve to praise others whenever you have the opportunity.
Say “Good morning.” A cheery “Good morning” with a smile on your face brings warmth to the people around you—and helps set the tone for an upbeat day.
Remember the power of gestures. An enthusiastic wave of the hand or an affirming nod of the head can signify warmth and excitement. Practice the simple, but powerful, gestures of enthusiasm and notice the positive effect they have on the people around you.
Offer your thanks. When a coworker offers you a compliment, helps you with a task, or brings a cup of coffee over to your desk, don’t forget to say an enthusiastic “thank you!” Simple courtesies like this are deeply appreciated by others.
Don’t forget the personal touches
Bring a personal touch to your office. It might be a photo of your family or a favorite plant. Personal touches help others see you as more than a coworker or a boss; they help others see you as a human being.
Reward yourself. Next time you work especially hard, or make an especially valuable contribution at work, reward yourself at the end of the day. Take your spouse or a friend to dinner. You’ll end the evening—and begin the next day—with renewed enthusiasm.
You bring a unique and valuable mix of experience, skills and talents to your job. If you would like to bring something more, aim for enthusiasm. Remember: It all begins with you.
Vocabulary:
zest (n) enthusiasm, eagerness, energy and interest
aptitude (n) a natural ability or skill
ebb (v) to become less strong or disappear
the name of the game (idiom) the most important part of an activity or the quality most needed for something
courtesy (n) polite behavior, or a polite action or remark
testimonial (n) a statement about the character or qualities of someone or something
set the tone (idiom) to establish the way something will continue, especially the mood of the people involved
Questions:
1. Do you consider yourself an enthusiastic person? Why or why not? Would your friends and family members agree? Explain.
2. What do you do to stay positive when things around you are going badly? Give a recent example.

圖檔

Time:第9次例會, 2005年6月24日
Host : Christine Hsiu
Topic:Are you happy with your body ? ( Source: Taboos and Issues / Text book P. 24 )
YOUNGER PLASTIC SURGERY PATIENTS

Surgeons at clinics specialising in plastic surgery are reporting increasingly younger patients, according to
a report released recently by the National Association of Plastic Surgery in the United States. “ They want
to look like the people they see in films or the models they see in magazines. It’s becoming an obsession,”
said one doctor in a beauty clinic in California. “Last week we had a woman in here who, at 30, said she was looking too old and wanted a facelift. I told her to come back and see me in 15 years.”

The average age for patients undergoing plastic surgery over the last year was 32, down from 34 just the
year before. In England recently, a 15-year-old girl was in the news for announcing that her parents were
going to pay for breast enlargements as her 16th birthday present.

Her mother said, “ If it makes her happy and gives her more chance of success in life, then what is the
problem ? “ Though women still dominate the plastic surgery scene, men are growing increasingly concerned with their physical appearance and are doing something about it. According to the report, men now make up 39% of all surgeries performed – that’s an increase of nearly 20% from last year. One man, who wished to remain anonymous, said he got his liposuction – removal of excess fat – after pressure from his wife. “ She’s a very athletic woman and, well, I enjoy a good steak. “

Liposuction tops the list of plastic surgery performed on men, followed by hair implants and breast reduction. For women the top order is still breast enlargement, followed by liposuction and facelifts.

Vocabulary:

1. obsession (n. ) 著迷 2. anonymous (a.) 匿名
3. undergo (v.) 經歷 4. athletic (a.) 愛運動的

Match these types of plastic surgery solutions to the problems below :
breast enlargement rhinoplasty (nose job) facelift
hair implant varicose vein removal tummy tuck

1. “This thing on my face is an atrocity. I’m surprised birds don’t sit on it or that lightning doesn’t
strike it in thunderstorms.

2. “ I hate them. I can’t wear shorts or a bikini because they stick out, especially on the back of my thighs.
They’re the ugliest things I’ve seen and they’re getting worse every year because I have bad circulations.”

3. “ I started receding really badly at the age of 23. My wife says she doesn’t mind, but I hate it. I mean,
I’m not completely bald or anything, but I constantly wear hats and baseball caps because I’m so
Self-conscious about it. I could never wear a wig.”

4. “ I hate being flat-chested. The boys at school used to call me “ironing-board”. Imagine ! I think I
have a pretty face but I don’t feel confident about myself from the chin down. I would like to feel
good about wearing a tight sweater or a low-cut dress.”

5. “ I used to have such a youthful, vibrant-looking face. Now my skin just sags. I think I look twice my
age.”

6. “No matter what I do, my belly sticks out. I think it has something to do with my posture. If I could
just get a flat stomach, I wouldn’t feel so bad about looking at myself sideways in the mirror.”

Which of the above treatments are most popular in Taiwan ? Are there any other ones that were not
mentioned ? If you had the problems above and plenty of money, would you have the surgery ?
Tell your partner what you would do for each problem.

Discussion

In a survey of 37,500 girls aged 12 to 15, more than half listed appearance as their biggest worry.
What do you think is the reason for this ? Is it a worrying statistic ?
Are you happy with your size and weight ? Is there a part of your body that you would like to change
(i.e.make smaller, make bigger) ?
Here is an alternative point of view from a culture where people take a different view of size :

“ I must eat so I’ll be fat and people won’t laugh at my figure,” explains one of the women in
a fattening room in Calabar, Southern Nigeria. “ Nobody will marry me if I don’t get fatter.”
Women come from all over Nigeria to put on extra pounds at these fattening rooms. “We can make
Any woman obese,” boasts the owner. “ They will get a husband after their stay here, no problem. “
The women eat all day and avoid moving so they don’t burn off any calories. “ It’s a bit tiring eating all
the time, but I know when I come out I will be attractive, healthy and beautiful,” said the woman we
spoke to.

Do you think it will be fashionable to be fat one day ?

Reference:
http://www.plasticsurgery.org/
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/womens_heal ... etic.shtml

圖檔
歡迎對本社團有興趣的人把我加入您的好友名單
教學相長~~~
(\~~/) (\~~/) (\~~/)
(~'.'~) (^.^~) (='.'=)
(_(___ (_(__)~ (") (")
MSN: nsr787878@hotmail.com
頭像
James Shi

文章: 129
註冊時間: 週日 10月 30, 2005 9:04 am
來自: 台北縣新莊市

文章Happy Jan » 週六 11月 05, 2005 2:27 am

Time:第8次例會, 2005年6月18日
Host : Stephanie Hong
Topic : A Marriage of Cultures
Source : All Plus Interactive English Magazine 互動英語 P. 16-18

Weddings are considered in almost every culture to be one of the most rites of passage. They also were once seen as a time when bad luck and evil spirits were likely to strike. This is why traditional wedding ceremonies usually consist of many customs and superstitions. Anyone who has been to a wedding in Taiwan will know that there are many distinctive and complex rituals. In the West, customs are also strongly adhered to, and some of the most popular are very different from Taiwanese traditions.
Whereas red is the customary wedding color in Chinese culture, white is the dominant color for western weddings. The early Greeks saw it as the color of joy, but by the twentieth century, white became synonymous with purity and innocence - qualities any good bride should possess. Today, white is once again considered a symbol of happiness. It is almost always the chosen color for the bride's wedding dress.
Many western brides follow the saying "something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue" when choosing what accessories to wear on the big day. Respectively, the items represent tradition and family, hope for the further, good luck and good friends, and loyalty. Wearing them all will ensure the couple enjoys a very happy marriage.
In the West, it is considered bad luck for the groom to see his bride right before the wedding, Originating from a time when arranged marriages were commonplace. It prevented the groom from rejecting the bride if she wasn't attractive. His first look would have come only when her veil was lifted after the priest had already pronounced them man and wife. Today the superstition is followed to ensure good luck.
The Wedding cake is a very important part of western weddings. Traditionally, the bride and groom are supposed to feed cake to each other, to show care and devotion to each other. It became popular for the couple to kiss over a stack of cakes, if they didn't knock the cakes down, the marriage would be blessed with prosperity. Later, it became fashionable to coat the tiered cake with icing. Now to signify sharing their new life, of the cake to help bring the marriage good luck.
Although Taiwanese weddings now borrow many symbols from western tradition, the two events are still very different from each other. But they share one thing: a deep tradition of customs and rituals that are intended to bring the newlyweds fortune and happiness throughout their married lives.
Vocabulary:

1. rite of passage 人生的另一個階段 8. loyalty 忠心
2.distinctive 獨特的 9. commonplace 普通的
3. ritual 儀式 10. veil 面紗
4. adhere to 遵守 11. stack 一堆
5. synonymous 同義的 12. tiered 成層的,階梯式的
6. purity 純潔 13. signify 表示
7. innocence 清白的 14. newlywed 新婚者

Question :

1. Do you like western wedding or Taiwanese wedding?
2. Which wedding culture do you prefer?
3. Have you been joining the western wedding in Taiwan or in foreign? What are the differences between Taiwanese and Western?
4. What does the color white represent in Taiwanese culture? Has the meaning changed over the years?
5. Which wedding do you like? For example: 1. civil marriage ( 公證結婚) 2. church -wedding ( 教堂結婚) 3. group-marriage ( 團體結婚) 4. cross -marriage ( 異國結婚).
6. Do you know any wedding traditions from other countries or cultures?

[Reference:]
1.http: http://www.kaahelehawaii.com/pages/culture_marriage.htm
2.http: http://www.worldweddingtraditions.com
3.http: http://www.shinjia.idv.tw/dabao/wedding2/ann.htm
圖檔
圖檔

Time:第7次例會, 2005年6月10日
Host: Alice Chen
Topic: Conclusion of Tuesdays with Morrie
最後十四堂星期二的課

( Source: This passage is copied down from one of the bestsellers “Tuesdays with Morrie(最後十四堂星期二的課) English Edition, page 190” )

I look back sometimes at the person I was before I rediscovered my old professor. I want to talk to that person. I want to tell him what to look out for, what mistakes to avoid. I want to tell him to be more open, to ignore the lure of advertised values, to pay attention when your loved ones are speaking, as if it were the last time you might hear them.
Mostly I want to tell that person to get on an airplane and visit a gentle old man in West Newton, Massachusetts, sooner rather than later, before that old man gets sick and loses his ability to dance.
I know I can not do this. None of us can undo what we’ve done, or relief a life already recorded. But if Professor Morris Schwartz taught me anything at all, it was this; there is no such thing as “too late” in life. He was changing until the day he said good-bye.
Not long after Morrie’s death, I reached my brother in Spain. We had a long talk. I told him I respected his distances, and that all I wanted was to be in touch---in the present, not just the past---to hold him in my life as much as he could let me.
“You’re my only brother,” I said. “I don’t want to lose you. I love you.”
I had never said such a thing to him before.
A few days later, I received a message on my fax machine. It was typed in sprawling, poorly punctuated, all-cap-letters fashion that always characterized my brother’s words.
“HI I’VE JOINED THE NINETIES!” it began. He wrote a few little stories, what he’d been doing that week, a couple of jokes. At the end, he signed off this way:

I HAVE HEARTBURN AND DIAHREA AT THE MOMENT---LIFE’S A BITCH. CHAT LATER?
(signed) SORE TUSH.

I laughed until there were tears in my eyes.
---THE END---

Got to know
1. lure
[C usually singular] the quality or power that something or someone has that makes them attractive 誘惑物
2. Massachusetts
A state in the United State 美國麻薩諸塞洲
3. in touch
keep in contact 保持聯繫
4. sprawling
to spread the arms and legs out carelessly and untidily while sitting or lying down
不規則地伸展
5. fashion
a way of doing things 風氣
6. characterized
Something which characterizes another thing is typical of it 描繪…..的特性
7. heartburn
a painful burning feeling in the lower chest caused by the stomach not digesting food correctly心痛;嫉妒
8. tush
(1) used to say that something is stupid or not true
(2) the part of your body that you sit on; bottom

Reflection Questions
1. Have you ever had arguments with your families? How do you handle it?
2. If you were being misunderstood by your loved ones, what would you do to get over it?
3. If your boss or colleagues just don’t communicate with you while having different ideas on work, what will you do?
4. Do you have any ideas of “communication”, can you please tell us your thought and definition of the word “communication”?
圖檔

Time:第6次例會, 2005年5月21日
Host: Yvonne Lin
Topic: Saving man’s best friend─dog. (Source: Studio Classroom, Page 44~45, Mar. 2005)

This animal lover has saved the lives of more than 300 dogs.
Would you ever consider letting 14 dogs live in your house? If you were Rose Huang, you’d say, “No problem!” Rose can’t ignore a dog in need. In fact, she has made rescuing Taipei’s stray dogs her life’s mission. She is not alone in her efforts. Rose has several dedicated volunteers who help out. Since 2001, they have been going to a dog pound in Keelung(基隆) twice a week. They adopt as many dogs as they can. Sometimes Rose has up to 14 dogs living with her. The pound is always very crowded, and disease spreads quickly among the dogs. The animals are dirty and crowded in their tiny cages. But worst of all, they are put to sleep if they are not adopted within a few weeks. The first time Rose saw the sad conditions at the pound, she was determined to make a difference. She couldn’t save all the dogs, but she’s been able to give some of them a new lease on life.
Of course, Rose can’t keep every dog she adopts. So she tries to find good homes for them. This can be a complicated process. First, she and her helps take the dogs to a vet to treat any diseases they have. Then she and her helpers post photos of the dogs on a Web site. The Web site has been a good advertising tool for finding loving homes for the mournful puppy-dog eyes looking out at them. Since starting her rescue mission four years ago, Rose has found good homes for more than 300 dogs! And once her dogs are adopted, Rose doesn’t just forget about them. She admits that she becomes attached to her furry friends. She follows up with telephone calls and e-mails to make sure that they really are living happily ever after. She hopes that someday there will be no stray dogs in Taipei. But as long as there are, Rose will keep fighting to save them.
Vocabulary:
1. stray dogs 流浪狗 Hundreds of stray dogs live on the streets of Taipei.
2. dog pound 狗狗收容所 We couldn’t find our dog, so we went to the dog pound to see if he was there.
3. adopt 收養 My aunt and uncle were unable to have children so they adopted my cousin.
4. put to sleep 讓…安樂死 Katie’s dog was old and sick, so they decided to put him to sleep.
5. a new lease on life 獲得新的生機 After recovering from cancer, David felt as though he’d been given a new lease on life.
6. vet 獸醫 John loves animals so much he wants to be a vet.
7. mournful 悲傷的;悽慘的 When my grandfather died last year, my whole family was truly mournful.
8. attached 依戀的 Teachers often become attached to their students.
9. follows up 在…之後採取後續行動 Jim is a caring doctor. He always follows up his patients’ visits with a phone call.
Question:
1. Why do you think many cities in Taiwan and elsewhere have big problems with stray dogs? Do you afraid of tray dogs? Why or why not?
2. Do you want to adopt a dog from the dog pound? Why or why not?
3. Somebody decided to put stray dogs to sleep. Do you agree or not?
4. Somebody would give food to tray dogs. Do you agree or not?
5. What should government do to reduce a lot of tray dogs?
6. Do you think some host should pay for throwing their pet?
7. What’re different ways in treating tray dogs between Taiwan and USA?

Reference:
* http://www.doghome.idv.tw
* Stray Dog in Kenya Saves Abandoned Baby - Yahoo! News
* http://theherald.pickens.net/news/051105_4.htm

圖檔

Time:第5次例會, 2005年5月13日
Host: Sam Cheng
Topic:Business Negotiations
Source: Times magazine

We are the I.T. department of ‘QQQ’ company. This week have a lot on our plate, and I don’t know if we have the bandwidth to finish the work on time. Luckily we have an experienced engineer, Jerry, who really knows the ropes.

Our department met with representatives from the other company for over 4 hours yesterday. Jerry didn’t waste anytime. He took the bull by the horns and gave them a list of our concerns right away. Then he asked a list of their concerns and put both lists on the white board, so he could be sure that we were all on the same page. He told the group that we were going to have to think out of the box and suggest creative solutions.
We talked for over an hour. Jerry likes to shoot from the hip, which makes some people uncomfortable because he’s very direct.
Because we have such different corporate cultures, I didn’t think the two groups would ever see eye to eye on the goals. However, during the second hour, Jerry said he was willing to bend over backwards and work very hard to address their concerns. I think that impressed them. He talked about the advantages of the deal, and then he really laid it on the line and left the next move up to them. At one point, I thought the other company might back out and leave the table, but Jerry kept the discussion going. There was a lot of give and take; they finally met us halfway, and we cut the deal over dinner that night. I was surprised that our relationship as competitor didn’t get in the way. Jerry was able to convince them to look at those old conflicts as waster under that bridge. He got them to focus on the future, and result was clearly a win-win situation for both companies.

Discussion of idioms:
1. on our plate
2. have the bandwidth
3. really knows the ropes
4. took the bull by the horns:
5. think out of the box:
6. shoot from the hip:
7. see eye to eye:
8. bend over backwards:
9. laid it on the line:
10. laid it on the line:
11. give and take:
12. met us halfway:
13. cut the deal:
14. waster under that brid:
15. win-win situation:
圖檔

Time:第4次例會, 2005年4月16日
Host: Alice Chen
Topic: Argotic (俚語) using
( Source: written by the student, Alice Chen. Revised by the English teacher, Alice Chen. )

In the afternoon tea buffet
Sarah and Samantha are having great teatime and they haven’t seen each other for almost a year.

Sarah: So… How have you been recently?
Samantha: Well, you know, just like usual, work, husband and the kids!
(sigh) Women now always wear two or three hats.

Sarah: I am in your shoes. We women are busier and busier, it’s lucky that I am still available; my room now is at sixes and sevens. If I were married, my husband would be nagging at me 24/7.
Samantha: Oh…I miss that salad time so much that we went through together. By the way, do you remember the guy who kept asking you out?

Sarah: Which one are you talking about?
Samantha: The one who was on the school football team and always ate like a horse. Don’t you remember him?

Sarah: You mean the prince charming one?
Samantha: Nope, I mean the one who always thought as if he were the brain of our house, that geek one.

Sarah: Oh…it rings the bell, you mean Terry, Terry Boxer?
Samantha: Yeah, Terry Boxer, he was always the pain of teachers’ neck. He kept asking you out for quite a long time, didn’t he?

Sarah: Oh, please, don’t mention that guy again; he made me physically sick though!
Samantha: Hey, come on, he seemed to be a geek, but he treated you nicely. Sarah, don’t beat the dead horse. He put all his heart on you though.

Sarah: Samantha, you know what? Because he was a team player, so everyone on campus regarded “he eats like a horse” as a common thing. Once upon a time, I saw him “eating like a pig” in an all you can eat buffet, like the food was on the house. I definitely can’t live with it!
Samantha: You serious?

Sarah: Serious! Not only about that but the relationship. He was so womanizing, always asking people “may I have the pleasure to be your partner, I’ll make you full with happiness!
Samantha: That sucks! If my husband were that sort of jerk. I absolutely would kick him into the dog’s house.

Sarah: Now you know why I was so mean, and every time he came close to me, I felt like a fish out of water.
Samantha: Did he really get a butterfly in your stomach?

Sarah: Of course! So, please, darling, never ever mention him again!
Samantha: Upoos…my nature’s calling…

Sarah: Ok, how about going to a movie later?
Samantha: Can I take a rain check? It’s time I went to pick up the kids

Sarah: Oh, fine, just go for your business, I’ll get someone to go with me.
Samantha: Sorry…
圖檔

Time:第3次例會, 2005年4月8日
Host: Cathy Lin
Topic: Seaquake in Indonesia
( Source: written by Cathy Lin and revised by Sherry Juan )

Recently, we can find out many kinds of natural disasters reported from different countries. Most of these natural damages can not be avoided by humans. One terrible damage just occurred in Gunungsitoli, a town of Indonesia. The following is the report of its actual destruction.

As the seaquake happened in Indonesia, the scene in the main town of Indonesia was one of destruction, with numerous buildings in the city's commercial district flattened. Many victims were covered by stone and some couldn’t be rescued because they were under the ground.

Many friendly countries wanted to reach out their hands to this serious and poor town. However, the airport runway was so damaged that rescue airplanes and rescue-troops could not take their actions in such a difficult situation.

Thanks god that Indonesian troops really guarded official buildings in this town- Gunungsitoli, but the overwhelming impression on the island was one in need of shelter, earth-moving equipment and emergency medical support.

One victim who was rescued said,” I believe we were lucky, and thanks for all the kind support from different countries and different worldwide units. "

Dearest fellows of Happy English Club, do you remember 921 earthquake in TW? Do you remember any natural disasters that happened before? No matter what religion you believe in or what country you live in, we are family and we always pay attention to the damaged zone and help each other

We know warm hearts and care are the best solutions to helpless people. So don't save your sympathy to the victims in the world.

Vocabulary
1 overwhelming 壓倒的
2 destruction 破壞;毀滅
3 flattened (使)變平;(被)壓扁;(使)倒下,擊倒,撞倒
4 reach out their hands 伸出援手
5 runway 跑道,(飛機)跑道
Discuss:
(You can pick up two topics to discuss)
1 > Do you know what kind of natural damage usually happen in TW? (Hint: earthquake; floods; tsunami= seaquake; typhoon); What’s your feeling when you are in such terrible situation?
2 > Have you ever donated money or food to the victims?
3 > Have you ever consider to immigrate to other country?
4 > Do you think environmental protection is so significant? Why?
5 > Decribe your feeling if you see some bad guy steal the donation from the public?
Reference Websites:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/asiap ... index.html

圖檔

Time:第2次例會, 2005年3月19日
Host: Skylar Chen
Topic: Behind the Swoosh-Nike ( Source: Making excerpts from CNN全球商業報導 )

It’s a sporting goods legend, with more than nine billion dollars in sales this year. And it all started with two runners selling some really funny sneakers from the trunk of their car.

Bill Bowerman was a University of Oregon track coach, but he was dissatisfied with the heavy running shoes of his time. In 1962, he became both an entrepreneur and an inventor when he formed a company called Blue Ribbon Sports together with Phil Knight, a former University of Oregon track star.

One of Bowerman’s first shoe models was developed with some latex, some glue, and the use of his wife’s waffle iron. The lightweight waffle sole was a big step forward in athletic shoe design. He reasoned that for every ounce removed from the shoe’s weight, 200 cumulative pounds would be lifted from the runner over the course of a one-mile race.

The company began with both Bowerman and Knight selling their products out of the back of a van at running events. They continued to grow throughout the ‘60s, and in 1972 changed the company name to Nike, the Greek goddess of victory. In addition, Phil Knight paid a graphic design student $35 for the image that would later become recognizable the world over.

Nike product
1. Have you ever bought the Nike products? Why do you choose Nike rather than other similar products? Price? Quality? Design? Sports Star?...etc.
2. Which sports star of Nike do you like most? Why do you like him/her?
3. Do you choose different shoes for different exercises?

Business
1. Do you like Nike’s image? If you are the graphic design student, how much money do you feel reasonable so that you charge Nike for your design?
2. Do you think it is possible that another sneaker shoes company will become so successful like Nike?
Vocabulary
sneaker 運動鞋 track coach運動教練 Entrepreneur企業家 Latex 乳膠
Waffle iron 烤鬆餅的模子 Lightweight 輕量級的 Sole鞋底 Cumulative 累積的

Reference Websites:
http://www.nike.com/main.html
http://www.nike.com.tw/
http://www.books.com.tw/magazine/item/biz/

圖檔

Time:第1次例會, 2005年3月11日
Host: Sherry Juan
Topic: Pros and Cons of the Internet

Nowadays, our lives have been greatly influenced by the Internet. For example, we shop, make friends, gain information, do work, learn a new language, and even look for love online. Yet, technology thing always has its pros and cons. Today, we will examine various aspects of the Internet using in our lives and discuss the following questions. What you find the Internet improves your life and helps you get what you want? And what may be the pitfalls when using it improperly? Let’s share our own experience and see if we can help each other make the most out of the Internet.

Shopping online
1. How often do you shop online? What kind of things do you usually shop? Do you always get good deals or you had some bad experience before?
2. Why do or why don’t you shop on the Internet? What attracts you and what discourages you from doing so? If you do enjoy shopping online, what websites or tips for shopping would you recommend to your friends?
3. In America, most people use the Internet to pay the bill, check the balance of their banking account, and shop on line by credit card. It’s indeed very convenient. Do you know how other people in different countries make the most use of the Internet in their daily life? (online course)
People Network
1. Do you often use instant messenger to contact friends or maintain friendship? What are the pros and cons? (highly time-consuming/ cause misunderstanding)
2. Have you ever looked for love through online matchmakers? Like Yahoo Personals and Match.com? Have you or your friends dated anyone that are known from the Internet? How did it work?
Work Performance and life
1. Do you have your own web site? If yes, how does it enhance your work? If no, do you want to create one? After you have your own website, what do you want to put and why?
2. Do you spend more time gaining information through the Internet or from other forms of media? Why?
3. What web sites you often browse in different fields of life? Name some for music downloading, food, health, news, investment, etc.
4. Do you learn English online? What are some good English-learning web sites which can improve your knowledge and English skills at the same time?

Reference:
http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~wellman/p ... erpts.html
http://abs.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/45/3/363
http://www.cnn.com/2005/TECH/01/03/cnn2 ... novations/

圖檔
最後由 Happy Jan 於 週五 10月 06, 2006 7:07 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 9 次。
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:Google [Bot] 和 25 位訪客