協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20060422, Article, Picture, Feedback

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20060422, Article, Picture, Feedback

文章annie_chung » 週一 4月 17, 2006 2:12 am

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由EVP Team編審

網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第 52 次例會,2006年4月22日(週六)下午3~5點
Place: viewtopic.php?t=15

15:00~16:00 gossiping and chatting
16:00~17:00 topic discussion

Host: Cathy Lin
Assistant Host: Sam Cheng

Topic:Ang Lee hailed as 'glory of Taiwan' after Oscar win
(Source: The China Post)

TAIPEI (AFP) - Taiwanese hailed director Ang Lee as the glory of Taiwan after he became the first Asian to win a best director Oscar for his groundbreaking movie "Brokeback Mountain".

Taiwan President Chen Shui-bian and Vice President Annette Lee immediately conveyed their congratulations to the Taiwan-born director saying he was the pride of Taiwan.

"We extend our highest congratulations to director Ang Lee ... he has injected vitality to Taiwan's movie-making and contributed greatly to the world film industry.

"He is the glory of Taiwan and we are proud of him," they said in a statement.

Despite living and working in the United States for most of the past three decades, Lee has never forgotten his roots and started his feature film career in Taiwan in the early 1990s before moving to Hollywood.

During his acceptance speech Lee, who missed out on a best director Oscar five years ago when nominated for the martial arts epic "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", thanked his "connections" in Taiwan, Hong Kong and China.

"I'm really touched. He has won glory for this country," said Lee's mother Si-chuang Yang Lee after watching a live television broadcast of her son picking up his statuette.

The 76-year-old woman took a three-hour ride from her home in the southern city of Tainan to watch the ceremony at the Taipei home of her other son Kang Lee, also a movie director and script writer.

"He has strived to achieve fame and success. He is more than a director. He has successfully blended East and West cultures in his films," Kang Lee told local reporters packing his home.

Film critics said Lee's victory was not just for Taiwan but the whole of Asia.
"Winning the Oscar will inspire Asian directors working to get a seat in Hollywood," leading Taiwan film critic Liang Liang told AFP.

"His success tells them that they don't have to give up their cultures to join the American mainstream," he said.

Lee, 51, has made a career of depicting the struggles of outsiders and his latest film, which explores the forbidden love between two cowboys, was a jolt to the Hollywood filmmaking system by touching on the taboo in a mainstream movie.

The director, who has lived in the United States since 1978, told the audience he made the movie for his father, who passed away soon after encouraging his son to accept the risky project following the flop of his big-budget action film "Hulk".

Vocabulary:
1. hail向...歡呼;為...喝采 2. groundbreaking 開創性的
3. vitality活力,生氣 4. depicting描畫;雕出 5. jolt震驚;令人震驚的事[C]

Questions:
1. Have you ever seen any movies directed by Ann Lee? Which one? And How is it?
2. Have you seen the movie “Brokeback Mountain”? Can you accept the love between two cowboys? What’s your feeling about this movie?
3 Despite the success of Ann Lee, he never forgets his roots. Based on his biography, we know he had nothing to do for six years in America. It is his most black time in his life. No fame, no income, and no fans at that time. Only his wife and children supported him at that time. What’s your opinion about this? What’s your good ways to pass through your difficult time?
4. Do you love Taiwan? Even though you complain the environment of Taiwan?
5. What’s your definition of “ true love”? You can share us the true love of your family, lover or your children. As my definition, true love means you never give up him/her in any difficult situations. You can sacrifice yourself to you family, children or our country. What’s your idea about it?

References:
http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20060306/wl ... N1YmNhdA--

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔
最後由 annie_chung 於 週一 5月 01, 2006 8:02 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
annie_chung

文章: 110
註冊時間: 週一 11月 28, 2005 11:41 pm
來自: Taipei

文章annie_chung » 週一 4月 17, 2006 2:19 am

It's 2:19 am
and I posted the article here.
Feel sleepy. zzz

Wish you could read the article because finding a good and suitable article for topic discussion and hosting the regular meeting are not easy at all. They need quite preparation.

zzzz
最後由 annie_chung 於 週一 4月 17, 2006 10:19 am 編輯,總共編輯了 2 次。
頭像
annie_chung

文章Happy Jan » 週一 4月 17, 2006 2:39 am

annie_chung 寫:It's 2:19 am
and I posted the article here.
Feel sleepy. zzz

Dear Annie,

With the dedication of the members like you, we belive, our club will be better and better for sure.

thx a lot :lol:

President, 2005-2006
Happy
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

文章annie_chung » 週三 5月 03, 2006 9:26 am

In my opinion, when I first read the article, I never thought about homosexuality. I just admire the director's hardworking, persistence, and perseverance. I think that's what the host, Cathy's driving at.^_^

P.S.
what sb is driving at:
the thing sb is trying to say: I wish I knew what they were driving at.
---> I learn a new idiom@@
頭像
annie_chung

overcome the worse situation you meet

文章Cathy » 週三 5月 03, 2006 11:43 am

[quote="annie_chung"] I just admire the director's hardworking, persistence, and perseverance. I think that's what the host, Cathy's driving at.^_^

Hi, Annie,
You got it right. The director's attitude is admirable. Furthermore, there are some readers having different views of this article and the article might stimulate our readers different thinking.
It's natural. I saw a movie and the leading actress said" Everything is possible". ~~ Yes, everything is possible nowadays. The encouragement from this words is to overcome the worse situation in your life.
Our willpower and kindness will make everything possible.

Cathy
Do what is right and be contented. Keep the mind pure and undefiled. Remain calm and serene always.
頭像
Cathy

文章: 84
註冊時間: 週日 11月 06, 2005 11:54 pm

文章euphorian » 週四 5月 04, 2006 12:35 am

The Ang Lee phenomenon indicates that Taiwan needs a hero very badly.
Some people admire his directing skills, others for some reasons like to point out that he is a good family man. In another word, a role model for every walks of life.
My favorite movie from Ang Lee is The Ice Storm.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119349/
My ultimate wish is to see Ang Lee make more Taiwan related movies. Of course, I am talking about movies that aren't afraid to explore matters such as sex, politics or religion.
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章: 158
註冊時間: 週一 10月 31, 2005 11:51 am
來自: The Loneliest Planet

文章Cathy » 週四 5月 04, 2006 3:43 pm

I will try to see this movie " The Ice Storm". :)
Do what is right and be contented. Keep the mind pure and undefiled. Remain calm and serene always.
頭像
Cathy

文章: 84
註冊時間: 週日 11月 06, 2005 11:54 pm

文章euphorian » 週五 5月 05, 2006 12:58 am

I am not a movie expert. For some reason, I found The Ice Storm very thought provoking. Ang Lee's movies had always been about human relationships. How to capture the essence of human relationships on camera takes talent. It is the most important factor that make a story on screens coherent and believable. I haven't seen Brokeback Mountain. Like any other movie of Ang Lee's. The time and location of the story can be consider as just a backdrop. Human qualities are universal, it goes beyond cultural boundaries. A director's job is to make sure that actors do not over-act or under-act. It is a calibrating juggling act.
In the name of forum tranquillity, feel free to delete any of my post, sooner the better.
頭像
euphorian

文章euphorian » 週五 5月 05, 2006 11:06 am

Ang Lee's interview with Charlie Rose.
You may need a good Internet connection to view this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kNXWkUp ... =ang%20lee
頭像
euphorian

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 31 位訪客