協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20060318, Article, Picture, Feedback

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20060318, Article, Picture, Feedback

文章annie_chung » 週日 3月 12, 2006 11:10 pm

Happy English Club 電子報 本報由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

Time:第 47 次例會,2006年3月18日(週六)下午3~5點
Place: viewtopic.php?t=15

15:00~16:00 Activity
16:00~17:00 topic discussion

Host: Annie Chung
Assistant host: Dirk Bremann

Topic:Small Talk: Think of It as an 'Appetizer' for a Full Meal of Conversation

Source: VOA News

01 November 2005

Debra Fine is an author, speaker and founder of The Fine Art of Small Talk, a company focused on teaching professionals conversational skills for use at networking events, conventions and clients. For more information about Debra and her work, visit www.debrafine.com.

AA: I'm Avi Arditti with Rosanne Skirble, and this week on Wordmaster: a conversation about small talk.

RS: Our guest is Debra Fine, author of a new book called "The Fine Art of Small Talk."

DEBRA FINE: "It is not the business conversation, not the business discussion, but it is that appetizer that helps develop into something more connected. So sometimes here in the United States you can start a conversation with someone strictly business. But if you intend to grow that into a business friendship, you need to develop that relationship, and the only way to do that is with small talk. And that's what makes it so important here in the United States."

RS: "So what is small talk -- how would you define that?"

DEBRA FINE: "I would define it, Rosanne, as a picture frame around every business conversation. For business that's how I would define it."
RS: "OK, that's business, but it could be more ... "

AA: "Right, I mean, I'm looking at your book here, you say starting with a statement like 'What a beautiful day. What's your favorite season of the year?' Or 'I was truly touched by that movie. How did you like it?' Or, let's see, 'What a great conference! Tell me about the sessions you attended.'"
DEBRA FINE: "Right."

AA: "What are some other examples of small talk?"

DEBRA FINE: "Well, the examples you just cited are showing an interest in other people, taking the risk of being the first to speak, the first to say hello, and then showing an interest. And all those examples you just cited use open-ended questions: tell me, describe for me, what was that like for you, what do you know about this, how did you come up with that idea?

"I might say to someone from a different country than myself or a different culture: 'Tell me about a favorite tradition' or 'Tell me what you enjoy most about visiting here in the Washington, D.C., area?' So the key is to use open-ended questions and to show an interest in others.

"If you are unwilling to talk to me, there is no perfect way to start a conversation because you will reject me no matter what. And that's what we all need to learn is that it is up to us to take the risk of starting a conversation, but to not take it personally if someone just gives us a one-word answer or doesn't help us along in the conversation. It may mean that they have other things on their mind or they're there to meet someone else. Move on to another individual in your party or at this event or at the meeting or conference."

RS: "So you're establishing a connection, a relationship."

DEBRA FINE: "That's the goal."

RS: "Moving on, we've started this conversation even though we didn't think we had anything to say, and now we're to a point where there's like some awkwardness in it. How do you get beyond that, or maybe what we would call a pregnant pause, which is a long pause in the conversation?"

DEBRA FINE: "First and foremost, always be prepared. Before I walk into a situation where I don't know people intimately, I come up with two to three things to talk about. It may be related to the event: 'What got you involved with this charity?' It may be related to current events: 'What do you think of this new Supreme Court nominee?'

"Now, I am prepared that people don't all read the newspapers or listen to the radio, so I will say: 'Have you heard about this new Supreme Court nominee of President Bush's?' 'No, I don't even know what you're talking about, Debra.' 'Well let me fill you in ...' and then ask what their thoughts are about that.

"But be prepared with two to three things to talk about. And if you've ever met with this person before, review in your mind what you know about them before you enter the restaurant, before you go to the party, before you attend the conference, so that when there is that awkward moment, pregnant pause, the worst time to think of something to talk about is when there is absolutely nothing to talk about."

AA: "Now let's talk a little bit more about in American society, what are some lines of small talk to just, you know, completely avoid?"

DEBRA FINE: "Well, I number one don't think it's appropriate to ever say to someone 'are you married?' Because if they say no, where is this conversation headed? Don't ask someone 'do you have any kids?' because, once again, what if they say no?

"I think it is OK when you're waiting for the check, when you're on a date, to say 'tell me about your family.' That's a big question. People can respond any way they like. 'I have a brother in Cincinnati and my folks still live in Ohio as well.' It wasn't pinning them down to 'are you married?'

"Also, don't ask someone 'how's your job at Boeing?' or 'how's your job at I.B.M.?' because what if they lost their job? A better question is 'what's been going on with work?' [or] 'what's been happening with work since the last time I saw you?' So those are some ways to make sure you don't put someone else in an awkward spot."

RS: Debra Fine is a former engineer in Colorado who became interested in small talk as a way to overcome her own social awkwardness. Now she is a motivational speaker and trainer, and has written a book, "The Fine Art of Small Talk."

AA: And that's Wordmaster for this week. Our e-mail address is word@voanews.com, and our segments are all posted online at voanews.com/wordmaster.

Vocabulary:

1. small talk 閒聊 polite friendly conversation about unimportant subjects
2. take something personally 針對個人的 to get upset by the things other people say or do, because you think that their remarks or behaviour are directed at you in particular
3. awkwardness 尷尬 making you feel embarrassed so that you are not sure what to do or say
4. first and foremost 首先 used to emphasize the most important quality, purpose, reason etc:
5. intimately 熟悉地 having an extremely close friendship
6. Fill somebody in: to tell someone about recent events, esp. because they have been away from a place.
7. Pin somebody/ someone down: to make someone give clear details or make a definite decision about something.

Task:

1. In each group, after finishing reading this article, please summarize it and find the key points or useful ideas from this article, then share with your partners.

2. Please find and list all the questions of small talk in this article and have a Q&A practice with your partners.

Discussion:

1. As the author, Debra Fine defined, ”Small talk is a picture frame around every business conversation.” What do you think of this definition? How would you define “small talk"?
2. A study at the Stanford University School of Business tracked MBAs 10 years after they graduated. The result? Grade point averages had no bearing on their success -- but their ability to converse with others did. How do you think of the result of the study? What do you think are the causes of the result?
3. How do you think of “small talk"? Do you think “small talk” is important for us to establish a connection? Why? or Why not?
4. Sometimes we would have a pregnant pause in the conversation. So, some tips or skills of small talk are in the article. Please point them out and share yours with us.
5. Some lines of small talk are to completely avoid in American society. What about the lines in Taiwan society? Please discuss the similarities or differences of small talk between the two societies.

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔
最後由 annie_chung 於 週二 3月 21, 2006 8:30 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 5 次。
頭像
annie_chung

文章: 110
註冊時間: 週一 11月 28, 2005 11:41 pm
來自: Taipei

文章Happy Jan » 週日 3月 19, 2006 1:11 pm

圖檔
最後由 Happy Jan 於 週一 11月 20, 2006 5:28 am 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
快樂英文讀書會 Happy English Club 為中高階的英文讀書會,定期在台北/桃園/新竹/台中/台南/高雄聚會.主要是由一群年輕上班族組成,快樂英文讀書會成員來自各行各業菁英,與會來賓必須具備英文會話能力,全程用英文輕鬆閒聊以及討論具有深度的議題各一個小時.歡迎蒞臨快樂英語讀書會.
頭像
Happy Jan
協會(創會)理事長

文章: 1516
註冊時間: 週五 10月 28, 2005 5:28 am
來自: 桃園市

文章annie_chung » 週一 3月 20, 2006 12:32 pm

Dear all:

It's so glad that I can meet you all during this gathering.
Hope you have learnt about something and spoke English a lot.

If you have any comment, please feel free to reply to this article.

Annie
頭像
annie_chung

文章: 110
註冊時間: 週一 11月 28, 2005 11:41 pm
來自: Taipei

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 24 位訪客