協會論壇聚會時間地點須知

20071117, Article, Picture

讀書會每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

版主: larry168, stockmovie, Ellen Tsai, GraceKuo, Gracie, Benjamin Yeh, Harris1984, Harrywang, kevinliu, Happy Jan, Tigervip9999, lisa0213, AmyLu1114, ianxue, ericwon, Winniehsuehh, JasonFang23, Petite, no1wei, Denise Kuo, evainnuk, sukaxon, Celine, Jasmine0316, David Tsai, cherry2323, janiej, DavidCH, RichardYeh, piscesvicky, Kevin01, MandyPan

20071117, Article, Picture

文章Amy Kao » 週三 11月 14, 2007 11:28 am

Happy English Club 電子報 本文由EVP Team編審
網站 http://www.happyforum.org/ 歡迎超連結並轉寄網址
論壇 http://www.happyforum.org/happy/ 歡迎至論壇討論

第131次例會,2007年11月17日(週六)下午2:30~5:30
Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

Time:
14:30 ~15:30 (Free Talks)
15:30~16:00(Speaker Session)
16:00~17:15 (Topic Discussion)
17:15~17:30 (Happy Time)

Host: Lancy Wang
Assistant Host:

Topic: Married, With Money

Source: Reader's Digest February 2006

Brian Greenberg is a college financial planner, but on a recent morning he felt more like a marriage counselor. The couple sitting in his office, near Cherry Hill, New Jersey, was seeking advice about applying for financial aid for the man's son from a previous marriage. "When they walked in," Greenberg recalls, "I could feel the hostility."

The income from the wife's business, which she had started before they married, was modest, but it was just enough to limit the amount of aid the son could receive. The husband wanted her to incorporate to reduce their income, thereby allowing the son to qualify for more aid. She didn't want to go through the complicated incorporation process, but felt pressured by her husband. "He was saying, 'I'm entitled to do what I want because I'm making the money that pays the bills,'" recalls Greenberg. "That kind of thinking undermines a relationship."

Much of this type of animosity can be avoided if only couples would talk about money before they get married, says Mary Claire Allvine, a certified financial planner in Chicago and Atlanta and co-author of The 7 Most Important Money Decisions You'll Ever Make. Without this talk, it's unlikely that couples have an actual plan for their lives together.

Studies have shown that disagreements over money are the No. 1 cause of friction in a marriage. And for some, they're the No. 1 reason for divorce.

So why can some couples weather financial ups and downs while others split over a household budget? The key to success is to find the common ground -- the shared values about how, as partners, you want to live your lives together. Here are some tips for executing a money plan without losing the passion.

Think big and put it in buckets. After couples have paid their fixed expenses, they often find themselves disagreeing over how to spend what's left -- pay off the credit cards or get that HDTV one of them has been craving.

To avoid such clashes, talk about your dreams. Allvine's research says couples who don't get bogged down with day-to-day budgeting details are usually the most successful with their money. "You can't say to the spender, 'Okay, you can only spend $50 a month.' It's like putting people on a diet where they can last for a while but then they just binge and eat a loaf of bread. The spender will say, 'I'll cut back.' And then they start cutting out the extra cup of coffee. But it's rarely the coffee that puts them in debt. It's the home they can't afford or the car they shouldn't be driving."

Allvine recommends sorting your big dreams -- starting a business, owning a home, saving for a vacation -- into categories, or buckets. "When you name the bucket, you know what that money is for, and you won't use it for anything else. That's how couples get to their goals -- they pay themselves first for the big things."

Everyone needs the prenup talk. As today's couples marry later, or remarry, they face big challenges combining resources. One spouse may bring children from a previous marriage; another might be caring for elderly parents. The new-think says, rich or not, you may need a prenuptial agreement. "It makes sense to think things through early on," says Mellody Hobson, president of Ariel Capital Management in Chicago.

But Carrie Schwab-Pomerantz, co-author, with her father, Charles Schwab, of It Pays to Talk, has a different take: "Not everyone needs to sign a prenup document -- but everyone should have the prenup conversation."

The point, says Schwab-Pomerantz, is to get an idea of each other's money personality. "If someone has a lot of debt, that can reflect some personality issues that his or her partner needs to know about. How you deal with money is a reflection of who you are as a person."

Put your goals on paper. "When a couple can agree on their spending," says nationally syndicated radio talk-show host Dave Ramsey, "then they have agreed on their fears, and their goals. We don't really fight about money. We are fighting about priorities, fears and power. A plan on paper brings a level of promise and cooperation and unity."

Ramsey also recommends scheduling regular money meetings to talk about expenses. "It's all about being open and on the same page. There are no secret credit cards, no secret debt, no secret student loans. No deception. It's a matter of understanding what the expenses are. How much do we have to spend on birthdays? What about the groceries and cable bills, the soccer expenses? Life starts to show up in a real way when you talk about it in a meeting and put it on paper."

Take a hike. How and where you discuss your finances is critical to keeping the peace, says Schwab-Pomerantz. "You want to make sure both parties are in a comfortable, neutral place. It's also important to know ahead of time what you're going to talk about."

Schwab-Pomerantz and her husband hike every weekend in the mountains near their home in the San Francisco Bay area. "We're away from our kids. We're not sitting there facing each other, which can become confrontational. We can't get mad and walk to another room. It's just the two of us, and we get a lot of conversation in there about our goals and our priorities in life."

Get it together. Financial independence is empowering, but many counselors say that living separate financial lives imperils a marriage. "Having his and her money is a recipe for disaster," advises Greenberg. "That says one person is taking care only of herself or himself."

The joint account sends a powerful message that your marriage matters. The account should be for joint goals: building a reserve fund, saving for college. A shared account, however, shouldn't cancel out individual accounts.

Managing your money together may not seem like a romantic venture, says Greenberg. "But if there is a good financial foundation, there are a lot fewer issues for strife."

As for the couple seeking financial-aid advice from Greenberg, they left his office, smiling, after he proposed a novel solution. The path to financial happiness is clear: communicate and plan together.

Vocabularies: Hostility (n) 敵意 Entitle (v) 授與權力 Animosity (n) 仇恨
Friction (n) 爭吵 Binge (v) 狂飲 Prenup/prenuptial (a) 婚前的
Confrontational (a) 對抗的 Imperil (v) 危及

Questions:
1. Would you think a couple can solve all questions if they just love each other? Why?
2. Do you think it is important to make prenuptial agreement? Why?
3. How would you manage a finance plan of a family?
4. If someone who is married in you group, please share your experience related this discussion. Thanks!!

:lol: :lol: 例會須知 :lol: :lol:
參與例會,請自行列印當週的討論文章並帶至現場,圖示如下:

圖檔

:lol: :lol: 請將社團網站,加入我的最愛 :lol: :lol:
http://www.happyforum.org/

台北,每週六 (2005年6月起)
Taipei, Saturday, Weekly
from June, 2005

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

高雄,每月最後一個週日 (2007年4月起)
Kaohsiung, Final Sunday, Monthly
from April, 2007

Place:
viewtopic.php?t=15

圖檔

20071117, Speaker – Sofia Wu
圖檔
圖檔

20071117, Speaker – Eric Chen
圖檔
圖檔

20071117, Gathering and Feedback
圖檔
圖檔
圖檔
Amy Kao
頭像
Amy Kao

文章: 50
註冊時間: 週一 12月 18, 2006 2:57 pm
來自: Tienmoon

AUDIO, 1117, 2007

文章jerry2508 » 週六 11月 17, 2007 8:19 pm

Hi, ya'll~

The audio's coming at a bad time...well..when the discussion's already over. Ha-ha!:lol:

This artical is terribly...aufully long. :cry: That's why I just couldn't get it perfectly done before today. I hope you don't mind.

However, some of the viewers don't seem to mind when it's posted, I guess. :) They always come back and listen to the old ones.(according to the increasing number of views for each audio.)^^

Anyway... What a relief! I'll be enjoying the rest of the weekend.

Ciao~
8)
You know the drill>>>

(文章有聲請點)
http://blog.xuite.net/jerry25084266/playground/14433878
:twisted: :P :shock: 8) :lol: :wink:
最後由 jerry2508 於 週六 11月 24, 2007 4:55 pm 編輯,總共編輯了 1 次。
頭像
jerry2508

文章: 99
註冊時間: 週五 8月 25, 2006 11:19 am

文章Carol Chang » 週六 11月 17, 2007 9:40 pm

Dear Jerry

Thank you very much for audio article. It is very helpful.

:D :D

Carol
頭像
Carol Chang

文章: 164
註冊時間: 週二 3月 20, 2007 8:38 pm

文章xsofiawu » 週六 11月 17, 2007 9:50 pm

Indeed ! Quite helpful ! Before listening to your audio, I could only read one fourth of the article and could hardly go on due to too many unknown vocabulary. However, with your magnetic voice and detail comment, it's enjoyable!

Thanks really a lot! Keep on doing no matter before or after the gathering!
頭像
xsofiawu

文章: 116
註冊時間: 週一 7月 02, 2007 3:46 pm

文章Wofy » 週五 11月 23, 2007 12:23 am

Dear all,
Photos are ready, sorry for late.
頭像
Wofy

文章: 214
註冊時間: 週日 3月 25, 2007 1:20 pm

文章jerry2508 » 週六 11月 24, 2007 5:06 pm

Carol Chang 寫:Dear Jerry

Thank you very much for audio article. It is very helpful.

Hello Carol, How are you doing?

It's good to hear that.

You are really photogenic in the icon, except for the small, blurry face. Ha~

:lol: :lol: :lol:
頭像
jerry2508

文章jerry2508 » 週六 11月 24, 2007 5:28 pm

xsofiawu 寫:Indeed ! Quite helpful ! Before listening to your audio, I could only read one fourth of the article and could hardly go on due to too many unknown vocabulary. However, with your magnetic voice and detail comment, it's enjoyable!

Thanks really a lot! Keep on doing no matter before or after the gathering!

Hi Sofia~

Thanks for the encouragement...and desperate need in me. Haha~ Joking!
Everyone of us, no matter how old you are, what position you are in, needs a pat on the shoulder to keep going, right?

A certified lifegard!!!! How am I supposed to believe that you are just a "normal girl"(as you state in your speech)whatsoever. And I am afraid that all the gentlemen can't wait to drown themself with you on duty by the swimming pool. Haha..

Great pic on the beach!

:lol: :lol:
頭像
jerry2508

文章xsofiawu » 週六 11月 24, 2007 9:30 pm

Dear jerry,

Thanks for your feedback about my speech. :D I'm not the lifeguard in the swimming pool but along Da Bao river in Taipei county during summer days with simply a lunchbox as a reward.

I did hear visitors of Da Bao river saying that "Wow, female-lifeguards!" Did you join my speech last Saturday? You would've trusted me just like Elisa and be willing to give yourself a try next year.

Now comes my turn to pat on your shoulder : join us ! Let alone saving others, we're promoting self-rescuing actually.
頭像
xsofiawu

文章: 116
註冊時間: 週一 7月 02, 2007 3:46 pm

回到 每週英文討論文章 (Weekly English Articles)

誰在線上

正在瀏覽這個版面的使用者:沒有註冊會員 和 5 位訪客